Pear tree disease?

Discussion in 'Fruit and Nut Trees' started by stooge555, May 17, 2008.

1. stooge555

stooge555 Member

Last year, I thought I had fire blight on my pear tree. I trimmed it back to good wood. This year I have some sort of disease or something that I can't figure out. Here is a picture of it. Can anyone help me? I don't want to loose this tree. I hope this picture came out alright. Thanks, Mark Tolman

Last edited by a moderator: May 21, 2008
  2. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

3. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

I've seen Pseudomonas called something like false fireblight.

4. stooge555

stooge555 Member

pear tree disease (picture this time)

Can anyone help me out with this. I had what appeared to be fire blight on this pear tree last year. I cut off all the damaged areas. I thought I would have good luck this year, but I have this. Is it the begining of fire blight? Is it a fungus. nothing is black yet, but I'm concerned it might spread to my other trees. Thanks, Mark Tolman

Attached Files:

5. jascha

jascha Active Member

Re: pear tree disease (picture this time)

It's hard to tell if there is anything wrong at all in the picture. Does your tree get a lot of direct sunlight? Is it shaded? Does the tree have a good airflow through the branches? Is it sheltered from the wind?

6. Liz

Liz Well-Known Member 10 Years

Last edited: May 23, 2008
  7. stooge555

stooge555 Member

Re: pear tree disease (picture this time)

Hello, It gets direct sun about 3/4 of the day and is shaded towards the evening. The leaves have little dots on each side of the leaf, almost in a line. It looks like someone sprayed some kind of acid or something on the tree. Some of the leaves are limp, and they are dry or hard where the dots are. Nothing has turned black yet, like with fire blight. I am having a real hard time taking a picture that is clear. Thanks for any help, Mark Tolman