PawPaw

Discussion in 'Fruit and Nut Trees' started by Ondjah, Dec 22, 2006.

1. Ondjah

Ondjah Member

Is anybody growing any of these fruit trees?

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

I tried a couple, small grafts but slugs got 'em (couldn't keep them away). Have eaten fruit from local trees, there was quite a big one in Seattle but it disappeared.

There you may not have the slug problem we have here.

3. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

That does sound a severe slug problem!

4. Ron B

Nothing else in the new row of diverse kinds of fruiting and nut-bearing tree and shrub transplants, including persimmons, hazels, apples, a cherry, Elaeagnus...was the slug magnet these were. It was hopeless.

5. Ondjah

Ondjah Member

How does the fruit taste? I was reading an article about the Pawpaw fruit, stating the reason why they never produced this fruit commercial was the fruit taste was "boring". But they were now in progress with commercializing the fruit. Since it's easy to grow, native to north america, self maintaining and probably by now it would be a new taste to consumers. I guess everybody's accustomed to pears and apples.

6. Ron B

I think the few fruits I've eaten off of local trees were not those of superior, named selections. "Small but pleasant" might cover it. Do remember noticing there was no bitterness or green (vegetative) taste, even though they were not yellowish or orange but still green on the outside.

7. Ron B

8. skyjs

skyjs Member

I am growing paw paw in Portland and I think it is the best-tasting fruit I know. I wonder if they let them mature. The reason they are not commercially sold is because they don't keep. You can't pick them 2 weeks early and sell them. They'll turn to mush. Everyone who I know has tasted them thinks that they are among their favorite fruit.
    John S.

9. Ondjah

Ondjah Member

Can you take any pictures please?

10. skyjs

skyjs Member

I have never done that before and I don't know how. It's covered with snow, has no flowers or fruit right now, so probably not. You wouldn't get a sense of the tree until leafing out anyway. It has very large deciduous leaves and down-turned meat colored flowers, typical of its place in the evolutionary biological history.