Passiflora? Which one?

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by wcutler, Nov 14, 2012.

1. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

Laura Blumenthal took this photo on a walk I was leading through the Sunset neighbouhood (or possibly Oakridge) two days ago. Is this Passiflora? P. incarnata?

Can whatever it is be expected to produce fruit here, or is this unusual?

Attached Files:

2. Maximo Dalmau

Maximo Dalmau Member

It is Passiflora. =)

Any chance you have another picture with a flower? Even if it is already done. =)

3. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

The only one I see in yards here is bluecrown passionflower, which the one in your picture looks just like.

4. Maximo Dalmau

Maximo Dalmau Member

Last edited: Nov 14, 2012
  5. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

Thanks Ron and Maximo. You're both saying the same thing, and I've read that it's hardy to 10F degrees, so I guess it's not surprising that it would produce fruits here.

Sorry - I think she had just the one photo.

6. Ron B

I don't think maypop does well here, I never see it. Probably too cold in summer. But I don't know for sure. You can see in the last picture linked to above that the leaves have a different shape.

7. Eric La Fountaine

Eric La Fountaine Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

We have had P. incarnata, maypop growing in the Carolinian Garden since 2007. It flowers fairly well. Some years it sets fruit, but they generally seem to be empty. This year it bloomed, but there were no fruit--not even empty ones.

8. Laura Blumenthal

Laura Blumenthal Well-Known Member 10 Years

Sorry, everyone - there actually is another picture, and the blossoms appear to be white:

P1020439.JPG

I'm just wondering what happens after a few frosts - will it die completely, or what? I had a blue version of this plant, and it made it through a couple of winters but then it died when we had a particularly cold one.

Laura 3:)

9. Maximo Dalmau

Maximo Dalmau Member

My call, Passiflora caerulea (which is not common in your region) is part of the hardy species and will stand cold temperatures. If you would have a close up to one flower identification will be 100%. I do not believe it to be P. incarnata, leaves look different. =)

Here in Mallorca it has survived temperatures down to -7ºC, leaves turned a bit brown, but still growing fine.

10. Ron B

Bluecrown passionflower is pretty common here. White forms are sold in addition to the blue-and-white. Specimens on walls near salt water should live for years.

11. Laura Blumenthal

Laura Blumenthal Well-Known Member 10 Years

This was on a walk, so I don't remember exactly where it was - I could try to retrace our steps to get a close-up of that bloom, but I'm going to go with Ron's theory that because it's on the wall it could make it through our winters here, which tend to be fairly mild. On the other hand, it wasn't very near any salt water - it was on 45th Avenue near Cambie (in Vancouver), I think.

But hi to Mallorca nonetheless, and thanks for responding!

12. Ron B

Specimen has been surviving long enough to become that far along in size and development. Many similar examples down here, plant is standard component of vine selections at local independent garden centers.

13. Maximo Dalmau

Maximo Dalmau Member

Last edited: Nov 16, 2012