Pampas grass care

Discussion in 'Poaceae' started by Marci McDonald, Mar 22, 2009.

1. Marci McDonald

Marci McDonald Member

I have a huge (9 TO 10') pampas grass that was magnificent last year. I need to know what pruning and care is needed for the new season. the outside blades are yellowed and the delapidated blooms are still on it. Please help.

2. togata57

togata57 Generous Contributor 10 Years

Chop it down. Some folks burn it off...great if legal (and safe) in your area!

Try searching "Pampas Grass", and check "The Family Poaceae" forum. Lots of useful info.

And: Welcome to the Forum!

3. lorax

lorax Rising Contributor 10 Years

Welcome aboard - what Togata said is totally correct. If you're going to chop it down, you might want to invest in a set of long-sleeved rose pruner's leather gloves and a good sharp machete. The leaf blades are very sharp, and you'll cut your hands to ribbons without good leather protection for them.

4. DGuertin

DGuertin Active Member 10 Years

Lorax,

I'm thinking Togata may have wrote that tongue-in-cheek - It's highly invasive, and the preferred method around here is to hack it to bits, burn what's left, dig a big hole all the way around the root ball, pile up the cuttings, and burn it again!

5. togata57

togata57 Generous Contributor 10 Years

What part of my entry do you find tongue-involving? Around here, open fires are illegal---within city limits, anyway.

6. lorax

Nope, Togata was being totally serious. If you want an attractive clump the next season, the best thing to do is to trim it lightly and set it ablaze, providing that it's legal in your area. Pampas grass is adapted to occasional fire.

7. lorax

Also, trimming the seedheads off once they've emerged completely controls the invasiveness. Plus, they make fantastic interior decor.

8. Marci McDonald

Marci McDonald Member

Thanks for your replies. We live in the city limits and it is illegal to burn. The disbelief on my husband's face told me that it was out of the question. We still have not decided what we are going to do, but it was great to get instant opinions from others on this problem.
    Thanks again,
    marci