Appreciation: Out and About

Discussion in 'How's It Growing?' started by wcutler, May 24, 2020.

1. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

Our white plums, Prunus cerasifera 'Atropurpurea', are out now in the West End. When I started as a Cherry Scout, Douglas Justice told us that the Vancouver Cherry Blossom Festival was not interested in photos of plums. I thought, "No problem, I've never seen a plum". Well, it turns out I live in Plum Central. Here are a few streets near me. There are a lot of other streets in Vancouver that are planted just as densely with plums, some blocks all white, others all pink. The blocks in my 'hood tend to be mixed pink and white, but the pink ones are just starting to open now.
    Prunus-cerasiferaAtropurpurea_ComoxBidwell_Cutler_20210310_105046.jpg Prunus-cerasiferaAtropurpurea_ComoxCardero_Cutler_20210310_112612.jpg Prunus-cerasiferaAtropurpurea_HaroCardero_Cutler_20210310_105937.jpg

Nik, AlainK and Acerholic like this.
  2. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

Tbh Wendy I think more plums are planted here also than cherries. I hear people say, "aren't those cherry trees looking wonderful" and they are all plums.

3. wcutler

The pink plums are in bloom now too. This is one block from me, to the north and to the east.
    Plums_BidwellComox_Cutler_20210318_150400.jpg Plums_ComoxBidwell_Cutler_20210318_150326.jpg

Here is something I almost remembered the genus name for (Google* deservedly got so popular because it deals with what we think we remember and returns what the word really is), so could look it up to get the cultivar name: Juncus effusus 'Spiralis'. * Edited - it turns out it was Bing that brought up the 'Spiralis' photo, and Google did not, but I think Google's search engine was the first to intuit what was being searched for, and the other search engines upped their game.
    Juncus effusus 'Spiralis'_BIdwellBarclay_Cutler_20210316_154824.jpg Juncus effusus 'Spiralis'_BIdwellBarclay_Cutler_20210316_154854.jpg

Last edited: Mar 20, 2021
    Nik likes this.
  4. Acerholic

Forsythia suspensa 707.JPG At this time of the year staying in bed past 0600hrs is just a waste, so we wanted to get outside and see the new growth whilst everywhere was still quiet. What a wonderful time of the day... and the sun certainly had his hat on this morning.
    Prunus domestica  European plum 706.JPG Heracleum lanatum Common cow parsnip 706.JPG Forsythia suspensa 706.JPG Fig Buttercup 708.JPG Fig buttercup Ficaria verna and Veronica persica 706.JPG Otterbourne woods 706.JPG Prunus spinosa Blackthorn or Sloe 706.JPG Fig buttercup and Veronica 710.JPG River Itchen flooding 707.JPG
    Still some flooding along the river, but getting better every day.
    Photos are of Prunus domestica European plum, Heracleum lanatum Common cow parsnip, Forsythia suspensa, Ficaria verna Fig buttercup, Veronica and Fig buttercup and the white haze is Prunus spinosa Blackthorn or Sloe.
    I had to add a rotting tree trunk, as we do love every bit of the journey trees and plants go through. All special IMO.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2021
    Nik and Margot like this.
  5. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Your second picture shows a budding out rowan. Does the forsythia have long, pendent side branches?

Last edited: Mar 23, 2021
  6. Ron B

7. Acerholic

Yes it does have long pendant side branches. Agreed with the second photo of rowan, I uploaded the wrong photo, whoops!!

8. Ron B

it does have long pendent side branches

I'm not seeing these in either of your pictures at all. Anyway the planting having the total combination of characters mentioned at the above link are what would confirm it as suspensa. If you are calling it that only because you think it has a distinctly weeping habit comparing it with a complete description may show it is another.

9. Acerholic

A few yards from me our neighbours Magnolia x soulangeana is in full bloom. On a sunny Spring day, not much better to be seen. It was so nice to be able to chat outside with friends after the lockdown is eased in England as from today.
    IMG_20210329_101945393.jpg IMG_20210329_101953454.jpg

Nik, AlainK and Margot like this.
  10. Acerholic

I just had to take something round to my neighbour and saw these lovely daffodils that gave me an early morning smile. Hope they do the same for you.
    IMG_20210329_105129463.jpg

Nik and AlainK like this.
  11. wcutler

I love these posts where I get a little glimpse into where people live.

Acerholic and Margot like this.
  12. Acerholic

Good morning Wendy, so do I, this is such a great thread you started for that.

13. Acerholic

After Wendy mentioned she liked seeing where other forum members are in the world, I thought I would take a photo of the entrance to my local garden centre which we visited this morning to spend yet more money, lol.
    I left out the sign so as not to advertise.
    IMG_20210330_110111972.jpg

Daniel Mosquin, Nik and AlainK like this.
  14. AlainK

AlainK Renowned Contributor Forums Moderator Maple Society 10 Years

Beautiful photo D.

15. Acerholic

Thanks Alain, it was also nice to be free.

16. AlainK

I had hoped you were wrong, though I feared something was wrong, even if Cryptomeria show brick-red colours in winter. But you were right : on their website, they say it had to be felled because of Pestalotiopsis :

Cryptomeria japonica - Parc Floral de La Source

It's a pity, I had known this tree for years, and I think of the gardeners that devoted their skills and time to make it look so beautiful, but that's life...

17. Nik

Nik Contributor

Are these cherries, or plums, or something else? They are just beginning to open.

Attached Files:

Acerholic likes this.
  18. wcutler

I can't see them well enough, would need to see the shape of the whole tree, and a close up of the flowers. The flowers look like they are cup shaped, with the petals all fused at the bottom. Is that right? That would not be in the rose family.

19. Ron B

Probably Prunus sargentii - definitely an Asian cherry at any rate.

AlainK likes this.
  20. Nik

Nik Contributor

I will work on getting better pictures tomorrow. Close ups might be tricky but I’ll do my best.
    Thanks Wendy and Ron B!

21. Nik

Nik Contributor

Here are some better photos.

Attached Files:

Acerholic likes this.
  22. AlainK

Nik likes this.
  23. Nik

Nik Contributor

Perhaps they are Prunus x 'Okame'?

Last edited: Apr 1, 2021
  24. wcutler

That closeup helps a lot. Definitely cherry, and I think your ID is correct! It's written in our guide as Prunus 'Okame'. That tree is in much better condition than the 'Okame' we see here.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2021
    Nik likes this.
  25. Nik

Nik Contributor

Thank you Wendy for confirming the ID!