Ornamental cherry has failed to blossom

Discussion in 'Fruit and Nut Trees' started by Lesleyann, May 29, 2007.

1. Lesleyann

Lesleyann Member

I have a flagstaff cherry tree in my garden that is six years old. Every year up to now it has blossommed into a magnificient specimen but this year there was no blossom and, although leaf buds formed, they did not open out. These buds are now shrivelled on the tree. There is nothing visible on the tree (insects etc.) that could cause this and the bark looks healthy. I'm reluctant to dispose of it if anything can be done to save it. It was planted to mark my husband's fiftieth birthday and he's certainly looking in better shape than the tree now! I love my garden but I'm no expert so I'd be glad of any advice, please.

Lesleyann

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Maybe the roots got too wet or it got hit by a destructive bacterial or fungal disease. If there is an service available there like our Cooperative Extension here clip a sample branch and take it to them (maybe call first in case they need something else done, like gathering of root samples).

3. oscar

oscar Active Member

That's the most likely cause of your trees demise.....or shot-hole borer, look for very small holes in the trunk.

4. Lesleyann

Lesleyann Member

Thanks so much for the prompt replies. I'm going to look up those ailments and see if anything can be done. I live in a small village in Wales so it's not easy to find experts to help. We have gardening centres but they are only really conceerned with the retail side of things. When, or if, it stops raining I'll go out and re-examine the tree to look for holes. I have another perfectly healthy cherry tree elsewhere in the garden. I just hope it doesn't spread to that.

Thanks again.

Last edited: May 30, 2007