nymphaea(water lily) soil

Discussion in 'Soils, Fertilizers and Composting' started by James Arthurs, May 10, 2005.

1. James Arthurs

James Arthurs Member

What I've been looking for is a recipe for soil for water lilies, and little info is forthcoming from google save advice to buy and use ABC or XYZ. Any suggestions? It seems logical that a silty soil is their natural environment, but (commercial) cautions argue for something else (and logically, I understand the problems of introducing purely silty material into a pond). Help!!..

2. Ralph Walton

Ralph Walton Active Member 10 Years

Our lilies are surviving in a blue clay pond edge. I use the word "surviving" intentionally - you wouldn't describe them as thriving, but they were put there for storage about a year and a half ago along with some corkscrew grass and yellow iris and some other iris (blue) that is some special variety that I can no longer remember. It's a spring fed pond that never dries out but it does drop about 18" to 2 feet in the late summer.
    Ralph

3. MiniBot

MiniBot Member

I've seen Schultz soil for Aquatic plants available in the US at the Home Garden centers near the pool and pond section. I've also heard this soil mixed with grit and some other additives is a good alternative to the cactus and succulent bagged mix.

minibot

4. Puddleton

Puddleton Active Member 10 Years

Clay is the appropriate soil, If your pond is less than 300mm deep, you may find that the pot will situated them too shallow. Try placing the rhizome on some shade cloth with clay spread above and benaeth the roots. add a wee bit of cow manure then bring each corner of te shade cloth to the centre and tie something round the corners to keep it together. Sink the flattened bag of soil onto the pond base and cover with pebble. Ensure the meristem is exposed and not impeded by the cloth. This will provide you with an additional 140mm of water depth by eliminatintg the height of the pot

5. Hey guys I am desperately looking to buy a blue (or any colour) of lotus for a really good reason... a best friend who helped me through a lot. I can't seem to find them in any shops anywhere on the internet or in Vancouver. Could you help me find one please. I will be forever greatful. Please e-mail me at curiousgeorgieo@yahoo.ca

Thanks so much,
    George Jacob

6. Puddleton

Puddleton Active Member 10 Years

Geographicaly speeking, I am the wrong person to help you with locating plants. However You may be looking for a blue lotus for a very long time as I believe Mother nature and or plant breeders havent achieved this colour yet

7. Eric La Fountaine

Eric La Fountaine Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

I imagine George is refering to The Egyptian Blue 'Lotus' - Nymphaea Caerulea, thought to be a lotus, now known to be a water lily. I had a hard time finding an acceptable link for this plant (it has questionable use as an entheogen), but it is an interesting plant because of its Egyptian history.

8. pastaetr

pastaetr Member

Try
    http://cgi.ebay.com/CAPE-BLUE-WATER...ryZ75624QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
    opening bid is $0.99.
    Perhaps you've already found what you are looking for.
    Good luck.