no tomatoes yet!!

Discussion in 'Fruit and Vegetable Gardening' started by apabal, May 6, 2006.

1. apabal

apabal Member

my tomato plant has a lot of flowers but no fruits.i use miracle gro for fertilizing all my veg garden.i heard over fertilizing might cause the plant to flower a lot and yield little to no fruit at all. am i over fertilizing? i jus use the prescribed amt once in 2 weeks.

2. PNW_D

PNW_D Member

I see you are in Texas - been hot lately? Hot temperatures impact fruit set. What varieties are you growing. I understand some are better than others dealing with heat - Porter comes to mind - but there are many. Do you do a fall crop?

D.

3. apabal

apabal Member

thanks D
    it is jus getting hotter here, now i have tomatoes and they have been green forever.how long does it take for the tomatoes to go from green to red??

this is my first time veg gardening. and i have better boy.

4. PNW_D

PNW_D Member

Each variety has its own requiements for ripening (similar to growing degree days used for corn). I would think Better Boy is a late mid-season? It does seem to take forever, but remember, a watched fruit never ripens :-)

Anyhoo, might I suggest you check out another forum (is that allowed here):

http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php

There is a thread on growing tomatoes in Houston, Tx. that may be of interest.

D.

5. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years