New Leaf Drop?

Discussion in 'Citrus' started by BabyBlue11371, Apr 10, 2006.

1. BabyBlue11371

BabyBlue11371 Active Member

I was just wondering if citrus drop young leaves like they do fruit?
    With every flush of new growth about half of the new baby leaves drop.. the half that make it are fine.. and then next flush of growth again half of the new baby leaves drop.. it happens all over the tree.. The older leaves are healthy looking....
    The tree is a mandrinquat..
    Gina *BabyBlue*

2. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

Interesting. I've heard of tip abscission but nothing like this. Which part of the new growth are the leaves falling from? Is it a leaf here and there at random points along the stem? Leaf-cutter ants perhaps? ;) (Sorry, couldn't resist.) What is the condition of the leaf when it falls - shrivelled or fresh? My only guess would be low humidity.

3. BabyBlue11371

Thanks for the reply,,,
    The entire baby leaf drops including the petiole.. the leaf it's self looks ok.. maybe a little limp.. but where the petiole attaches to the branch is dark.. some times it is entire group of leaves including the new central stem drop.. all extremely new growth.. no other leaves are dropping.. the older leaves look healthy..

JungleKeeper... on a side note.. about the pineapple post in the other forum.. If you read earlier in the thread you can read about "forcing" the pineapple.. this can be done when the plant reaches the desired size.. but keep in mind that the fruit that will develop will be smaller in proportion to the plant.. *I'm having troubles getting in to the other forum and have no way to contact you out side these forums other wise I would have replied this in that thread or just sent a personal note*

Gina *BabyBlue*

4. BabyBlue11371

here is photo of one of the baby leaves about to drop.. you can see the leaves around it, in all stages of growth, look rather healthy..
    Gina *BabyBlue*

Attached Files:

5. Millet

Millet Well-Known Member 10 Years

Gina, if you can't get into the CGF forum drop me an E-mail and I will take care of it. The answer to your question is NO, normally new leaves should not fall from the tree. The greatest leaf drop period of a citrus tree is DURING, and immediately after, blooming. During the tree's bloom even new leaves can and do fall from the tree. Normally a citrus leaf has a life span of 18 to 24 months. When the tree puts forth a new flush of foliage, the new growth is directly competing with the fruit on the tree, and especially with the production of flowers. The nutrient demand of the tree is raised at this time, so keep your fertilizing schedule adaquate. Actually, a citrus tree should be well fertilized one to two months PIROR to the start of the blooming season. BTW, I sent you a private message on the CGF forum for the wonderful plaque. Perhaps you did not receive the message, as your having trouble. I'll E-mail you. - Millet

6. BabyBlue11371

Ok that makes since.. Frustratingly.. It is currently putting on a few flowers. and it put on a flower or two the two flushes before this.. Of course the few blooms dropped.. Now if I could get it to put on a BUNCH of flowers to make the leaf drop worth it.. We are looking forward to sampling the mandrinquat. it is the only citrus in our collection that we have no idea what the flavor will be.. Guess I need to adjust my fert? I have been feeding Miracle gro rhody azalea 1/4 does weekly(ish).. I checked the PH and it is right at 6.5..
    5 blooms that probably won't make it to fruit is frustrating.. Still smells heavenly though!!!
    I'll e-mail you directly..
    Thanks!!
    Gina *BabyBlue*

7. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

I'll keep it in mind. The pineapple, unlike my citrus, is more a novelty for me.