Need help with sick japanese maple, please.

Discussion in 'Maples' started by cavalfilter, Apr 5, 2008.

1. nelran

nelran Active Member

TheChooks,

I'm not 100% sure, It looks like you have a dissectum A.P. 'Waterfall', similar in size to one of the two specimens that I have. Probably, due this new location, looks like it had had (and probaly still has) some stress. I got mine 1-1/2 years ago with similar condition, and after caring and baby it, it came back months later. IMHO, follow closely its behavior (green healty color of the trunk and branches and also check for tiny new sprouts).
    In my case, I kept it in a wooden container to facilitate caring and easy move if I need it. I drilled about 12 to 15 holes of diam. 1/2" at the bottom of the container to be sure of good drainage. I used a mix of "soil conditioner" (hardwood bark chips) and perlite (60/40) but as you can see in this forum, the perfect soil mix it's a matter of high discussion and it depends of several factors including watering intervals, zone, among others. I also kept it in shade for almost all summer (again, I live in Houston (with a lot of hot/sunny days) so you have to consider this for your area. I use wooden containers because they are a good natural isolator of heat/cold for the roots and they look nice with JMs planted on it. Here is a pic of my small waterfall taken recently. Good Luck!
    Nelran

Attached Files:

2. namnhi2

namnhi2 Member

Nelran,
    You are in Houston? Cool. I live in Pearland and I have quite a few JMs in one gallon, a few second year graft as well as 2 three gallon. Good to have someone that live in the same town so if I have any question I hope you don't mind.
    Thanks,
    NamNhi

3. nelran

nelran Active Member

namnhi2,

Yes I'm in the sorrunding Houston area, (about 30 miles west of downtown). I just barely have 2 years with this hobby, but I will do my best to share my tiny experience with these beauties plants. My best advice is to visit frequently this forum, and read a lot about JMs. Probably, here you will find almost everything what you looking for related to Japanese Maples. Read the posts and look for the pictures in the Maple gallery.
    Pearland is closer to the only nursery that I know has (consistently) some cultivars JMs in the Houston area. Mass nursery is located in Seabrook area. Here is the link if you want to visit it. http://www.maasnursery.com/plantstrees.htm.

Nelran

4. namnhi2

namnhi2 Member

Nelran,
    Thanks for the link to Maas nursery. I probably will visit them soon.
    NamNhi

5. Big Red

Big Red Member

Does anyone ever discuss Phyton 27? It is a low concentration copper bactericide/fungicide that has been shown very effective for JMs with root rot and verticulum wilt (when more than half of the plant is still alive). It is used as either a foliar or soil drench depending on the disease.

6. chimera

chimera Well-Known Member 10 Years

The "search' box for "Phyton 27" in the title bar top of this page brings up some information. Don't know if any pertains to maples, sounds interesting.

7. Big Red

Big Red Member

If you go to their website and click on labels and MSDS you will see the range of plants it treats which includes fortunately japanese maples....and I believe you can get it in Canada. I learned about it from the company I order maples from sometimes...www.mountainmaples.com. They talk about it in a "pests, diseases and problems" article. You do have to take precautions with eyes and skin when using though.

8. chimera

chimera Well-Known Member 10 Years

Think it's being used here, at least by some plant hobbyists, not sure if it's OK'd by the Agriculture Dept. yet, maybe. Was available as a cleaner a few years ago for swimming pools and such. Interesting, thanks there.

Last edited: May 12, 2008
  9. Big Red

Big Red Member

Sounds ominous...Your distributer is in Ontario, but interesting enough they don't list JMs on your label which is different than ours. They use it here on floral nursery crops.
    I rarely use anything in my garden except insecticidal soap (never on maples) predators and a garden hose. I have recommended Phyton27 to people on this website because I think when push comes to shove...desperate times call for....Also,
    sometimes people get busy, don't see subtle changes in their trees and then it is/
    almost too late, especially with water borne illnesses. Recently, I have brought Hellebores into my yard which are gorgeous in winter but have inundated my yard with aphids..hence ants on the trunk of one maple so now I have a new issue to deal with. It's endless, but I love maples and have managed to keep all of them alive so far!