Need help to pick a tree, please...

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by that dee girl, Jul 17, 2009.

1. that dee girl

that dee girl Member

I would like to have a small tree in a perennial bed on the north side of the house.
    I wouldn't want it to be more than 15' - 20' in height & should be fairly compact. Unfortunately it wouldn't get much sun at all, especially in the fall & winter. I am in zone 8b, on Gabriola. I have rocky, rocky, rocky soil which I have amended.

Any recommendations are welcome, but I would like something with a bit of year round interest. Easy, right????
    Thanks!

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Japanese maple.

3. that dee girl

that dee girl Member

I should have said that japanese maple & dogwood were already on the short list. Thank you for your help Ron B!

4. Ron B

For greater winter interest choose a kind with colorful twigs like a coralbark maple or a paperbark maple. This last grows twice the height you want but only about 1' or so per year unless more stimulated than usual. Possibly too interesting to pass up because after decades it may be (or may not be) 40' tall.

5. that dee girl

that dee girl Member

Can these two be pruned without ruining the shape? I have power lines above the area where I would like to plant it, which is why I have the need for a small scale tree.

6. Ron B

Coralbark sometimes cut back deliberately to maintain dominance of red twigs. I am doing that myself. It has had quite an inhibiting effect on the specimen's upward progress. Paperbark is basically hands off once fairly well along - as are many choice ornamental trees, actually.