Identification: Need help identifying magnolia

Discussion in 'Magnoliaceae' started by John Yao, Apr 15, 2019.

1. John Yao

John Yao New Member

I need help identifying a mislabelled magnolia(labelled as a 'vulcan') at a nursery in Mill Creek, WA. The buds were around 4" in length and starts off with a pinkish blush which gradually fades to white after the buds open. It's a beautiful specimen that I'd like to keep but the space is limited in the spot it's planted.

Attached Files:

2. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

3. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

Disclaimer: I have no business replying to your post, but it interested me to look at some photos. On the rhs.org magnolia page, one I came across Magnolia denudata, which page has some detailed description:
    RCMG - Magnolias - All
    Here is 'Milky Way', which is says it is related to M. denudata:
    RCMG - Magnolias - All
    Another of its parents is M. liliiflora, also a parent of M. vulcan.

Usually when I'm out of my depth here, someone comes along to set me straight or suggest details to examine. Let's hope.

4. Douglas Justice

Douglas Justice Well-Known Member UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society 10 Years

It is somewhat challenging to identify Magnolia species, and exceptionally difficult to sort out hybrids, especially when they are young. Flower size and colour can change over time, and with environmental conditions, as well. The plant is probably a hybrid. It may very well be 'Milky Way, which it resembles from the images, but I am not familiar with the cultivars available in Washington and could not say for sure, without a direct comparison.

5. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Unlike plant asked about 'Milky Way' produces big, broad, almost clumsy tepals that aren't boat-shaped. Involved retailer should be shown incorrect material and asked what supplier might have been listing that plant purchased could be instead. It might also be possible that the kind you bought was sent to the retailer at the same time as your supposed 'Vulcan', with correct labeling. That these are - or were - present there and that occurrence could be used to discover the name.

Last edited: May 5, 2019
  6. John Yao

John Yao New Member

Thanks everyone for the input. I took Ron's advice and looked up the retailer. On their website the magnolia that bears the closest resemblance is 'Blushing Belle'.

7. Ron B

8. Ron B