My tropicals

Discussion in 'Conversations Forum' started by greenboy, Sep 5, 2009.

1. greenboy

greenboy Active Member

Well my

Lets the immigration begins, my pothos is inside, and my AV is inside too, my Snake plant is still out, and I do the same with the CC they stay out until late Sep. I change my to my winter tire on Sep 21, then I put inside the CC. the spathiphillum is probably next. thanks. GB

2. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Re: Well my

Your antivirus is inside, that's good, but why is the carbon copy still outside??

;-)

3. togata57

togata57 Generous Contributor 10 Years

Arborvitae, maybe? Audiovisual. (Wow, 'round here, leaving anything of an audio-visual desc. outside is an enterprise destined to end in the disappearance of same.)

Perhaps "CC" is a fluid measurement. In any case, it fits into a winter tire. Hmm. Room enough for a spathiphyllum, too.

4. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

My local Community Centre is indoors, though . . .

;-)

5. togata57

Closed captioning?
    Country Club?

6. joclyn

joclyn Rising Contributor

oh, thanks for the chuckle, michael!! 'twas much needed here!!

i've still got my plants outside - it's been getting quite chilly at night, though, and i probably should bring them in...

7. Liz

Liz Well-Known Member 10 Years

Well round here it's get ready for spring planting. :)

The kids (large adult children) have decided to continue with the gardening I have so much trouble with at the moment. All would be well but they have little idea of what treasures I had in some of the spots they got stuck into yesterday.......
    "Not happy Jan"

So today I hobbled around searching the piles of removed stuff and found several of the things and re planted them.... Who's garden is it anyway?.....

No seriously I need their physical strength so will have to learn to quietly manipulate them to my directions. Happy overwintering to you all.

Liz

8. togata57

Yeah, these kids. Ha! Your post, Liz, reminds me of what my son (age 22: definitely of the 'large adult' variety) has said frequently (in an aggrieved tone): "Oh, look! Here's a huge, heavy, sweaty job! Where's Sam?!!" I tell him Well, if you walk around saying "Look at these big guns!" (whilst flexing biceps, triceps, and various other upper-body musculature) and are over 6' tall, what d'you THINK is gonna happen?---Success to you in your manipulation.

Kids...I was greatly cheered yesterday after my daughter returned home from participating in a wedding. One of the items she was given was a large bouquet. Of course, I was intrigued and examined the contents thereof. One flower bore a pinkish head...as I reached into the bouquet to get a better look at its leaves, she said: "It's stonecrop, isn't it?" !!! She was right! As she is not a 'plant person', this statement both surprised and gratified me! Sometimes they do pay attention!

And now, to try to fit all my plants back indoors...some of which are MUCH larger than they were a couple of months ago.---Too bad my HOUSE isn't!

9. Barbara Lloyd

Barbara Lloyd Well-Known Member

I guess I am really blessed. As I get older and less able to do much of anything in the outdoor garden my Daughter has taken over. She knows all the names and types of her roses, but isn't doing well with either common or botanical names on anything else. She seems to have her own language. Schizostylus has become shittystylus, the spider plant has been renamed arachnid folage and a Hosta is the slug nest. A large dinner plate white Dahlia is her "crack" dahlia because it was rescued from a crack house that was being torn down. I just leave her alone because she does a good job and really is learning alot. And - she keeps me amused. barb

10. Liz

Ditto here Barb. If I push too much nothing will happen. At least they are trying and she has a good herb pottery going and the lettuce tomato and garlic were good We are trying for sunflowers in the shade????? warned her about the slugs and suggested she read the garden book. My bigger worry is no 1 son. He is a proffessional tree lopper remover and thinks he knows it all. Tends to be heavy handed with the pruning and some trees like the birch are permanently without its lower branches down the fern area. He is currently looking at redoing the vegetable garden with raised beds up in the open sunny paddock. We have a new hen house (store bought very flimsy) that my dad would have a real ROFL over. I have persuaded him to put it in the Maremma's [dogs] half acre so they at least have some protection from Mr FOx. I did get a nice tall front gate on two lovely wooden pillars (about foot square) The gates are mirboo (sp) decking planks and it looks as tho they have been there for ever but they open easily. They are also talking about setting up my rescued very large stone dragon that is a sort of fountain. It has a spout out of it's mouth. We need a pump. Have the pond so will see if it happens.

We are still getting lots of spring rain which is wonderful.
    Liz

11. Dana09

Dana09 Active Member

Yes,
    It's nice to have help if one can get it! Especially from one's own children. Every year I make sure to give my son some prune plums as he dug thru the rock to plant the tree 20 yrs ago when I moved here. And he gets apple sauce too, same reason.

Now he is 40 and a new homeowner with his first garden. Due to a lack of sunlight he planted tomatoes into two pots and wheeled them about into the sunlight during the day. Too funny but tomatoes they have. I think that next year perhaps, they will be topping some trees to get more light in. One thing at a time.
    When my daughter was in high school they did a field trip to the Englishman River Falls Park to see what was growing there. She said she was the only kid, apart from one other, who knew almost all the vegetation in the park, a place not far from home, and she was very pleased with herself. Only the wild licorice eluded her, obviously a plant her mother is not familiar with!
    When son was about 8 he went camping with friends and came back with a tale of how the mothers there were horror stricken when they found the children eating berries in the woods ! Stop! You'll die!!!! The one mom, who knew me said that, if my son said it was ok it probably was, as his mother is a botanist. OH ROFL, ROFL til my sides hurt.
    No, no botanist, just know what a huckleberry looks like!

My kids grew up seeing their food come from a garden as well as a store and seem to feel that that is only normal. So very different from a youngster of about 5 who once said to me when offered an apple from my tree that, 'Our apples come from the store!' his parents, between them being afraid of every insect there is; one, of those that flew, the other, of anything that crawled!

D

12. greenboy

greenboy Active Member

I brought in my tropical yesterday, the last one was my Christian Cacti. How is the weather in your area? Is getting real cold here in Pennsylvania...

13. togata57

Oh it sure is here too, GB. Had frost warnings on Wed. night---down in the 30s! Rain and gloom too. Fortunately today brought some breaks in the clouds after the rain let up, so that was good. We're all wondering what this winter is going to be like!

By the way, what is a 'Christian' cactus?

14. Liz

Well we are starting daylight savings (Sunday night) So far it has finaly been a normal spring after the strange warm start. Mild to cool. All the birchs and maples are leafing up and I noticed the oaks are starting too. Flowers every where. Daffodils are over up on the farm and soon it will be hot and dry so making the most of the soft weather.

Liz

15. soccerdad

soccerdad Active Member 10 Years

I suspect that a Christian cactus is what some of us call a Christmas cactus. I have an atheist cactus myself

Here it is starting to fall almost to 40 F at night. It may freeze by the end of the month. The days are variable but in the 60's. But the incessant rains have not yet started - it is maybe only raining 40% of the days.

16. togata57

Well, better than a satanist cactus. That epithet would aptly describe my prickly-pear...

Just brought in my various Christmas (denomination unknown) cacti, including the grande dame of 'em all. This mammoth plant is in an 18" pot and barely fits through the doorway. She's a big 'un. (Lifting her from her summer perch, a stand on my back patio, and maneuvering her into the house and UP onto her winter stand indoors causes me to utter numerous quite un-Christian expletives.) 25 years old, and was a start from my mom's...age of this grand-ancestor lost in the mists of prehistory. When dinosaurs walked the earth.---Two of the above-named are already setting buds: white one is always the first, followed by one I suspect of being a T-giving cactus. (Pentecostal...?)

Oh, Liz! Your description is beautiful. Bet the dogs are having a good time!

Read in my newspaper this a.m. that there is a HUGE crop of acorns in New England this fall. Some folks think that this is a sign of a rough winter ahead. Maybe I can wear my (artificial) fur-lined boots INSIDE the house...

17. Liz

I think that might be right re acorns. Here the plants go beserk if it suddenly goes well with water like now. If it is not good they all hunker down European trees included and wait out the dry. Some don't make it like my black wattles down the paddock but there are abundant new seedlings growing so the cycle continues.

You need genuine UGG boots (Our word before a US firm tried to hi-jack it and lost) from Oz lined with Lambswool. That is warm.

Dogs had a great run this morning white against the green. We are aclimatising (sp) so to speak a new one that lived up the road and she is doing very well. Has taken over the gate as her duty.

Liz

18. soccerdad

UGG is the United Grain Growers. I used to see it on grain elevators. Are you Aussies trying to steal our name? And for some BOOTS!?! Have you no shame? You should all be transported to some inhospitable place! Oh wait ... they already tried that ...

19. togata57

ooh, soccerdad...them's fightin' words.
    Enter, stage L., a REFEREE. Blows whistle, indicates "Time Out". Shakes head in a resigned manner. Exit, stage R.

20. Liz

21. togata57

I think that the term should belong to whomever used it first. Up the Aussies!

I cannot fathom why anyone would want the name 'UGH', at least not for footwear. For those disgusting multicolored gummy worms that 8-year-old-boys are supposed to relish, yeah. For a work-related back brace, maybe. But not too appealing as a name for something I'm going to stick my feet into.

There is a literary term, which I CANNOT remember (Aargh!---as well as Ugh!), for a specific name evolving into a generic meaning. Example: the product name 'Kleenex' coming to represent all facial tissues. I'm gonna have to consult my library 'Info Line' on this one...I can feel my neurons frying as I try in vain to dredge this info bit out of my overloaded and ne'er-defragged hard drive of a brain.

Thanks for the info, Liz. And may the rightful owners be victorious!

22. Liz

From memory I think we were victorious. The term as I understand it came from ugly boots when the farmers first made them and as is our want we shorten, and in otherways wreck the queen's English hence Ugg boots.

There are a lot of words that are now generic and like you non come to mind. Was'nt Levis one of them. As in the ist name of the creator of jeans.

Liz

23. soccerdad

I've only done one patent case and one trademark case, so I am no expert, but the links from Liz sure make it look like Decker's right to the exclusive use of the name has not been successfully attacked so far.

I will try keying "UGG" into austlii.org.

Try looking at "Kleenex" (which I am pretty confident has retained its exclusivity, so that its competitors legally have to call their products "facial tissues") and "zipper" (which has definitely lost its exclusivity).

"Xerox" fights incessant court cases around the world to stop people from using its name in connection with other companies' photocopies, since if such use because widespread the Xerox Corporation would lose its right to exclusivity - sort of an IP version of squatter's rights. But in my office half of us refer to "xeroxing" or to "the xerox room"; the other half "photocopies" in the "photocopy room".

"Levis" has certainly not become a word that can legally be used by anyone in Canada other than Levi Strauss and company. If you sell a pair of jeans produced by some other company and call them "levis" you are unquestionably violating their trademark.

But such matters differ from country to country. Example: you patent something in the US, your patent gives you no protection at all in any other country; you need to get a patent in each and every country where you want protection (although maybe the EU is now treated as one country for this purpose?)

I can understand UGG because the work was dirty or the boots were dirty, but the sites seems to suggest that UGG boot was used in the UGG egg industry so I have to ask ... what sort of eggs are/were produced in that industry to generate that name? Dingo eggs? Platypus (no - can't be - they are so lovable ...)

24. togata57

Reptilian, perhaps.