Propagation: Monkey Puzzle Tree Seed Pod

Discussion in 'Araucariaceae' started by Finerdreams, Mar 17, 2017.

1. Finerdreams

Finerdreams Member

I just acquired a Monkey Puzzle Tree Seed Pod yesterday. I was at the local landfill and a couple was dumping some cuttings from a Monkey Puzzle Tree and I asked for a branch to see if I could root it and start a tree. They said it was too hard that way and handed me a seed pod. How do I get the seeds from this pod? Can I get the seeds from this pod? If I can get seeds, what then? Please advise. Thank you.

2. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Can you post some photos? It is very unclear what you have. Monkey-puzzles don't have 'pods', they have cones; the cones break up on the tree when ripe in late summer (late August to early September) and shed the individual seeds. The seeds are orange-brown, about 4 cm long and 1 cm diameter, with a 2 cm spine at one end.

It is also important to know the history of the items you were given; Monkey-puzzle seeds are very sensitive to drying out, and don't keep well, unless kept refrigerated (1-2°) and moist; if kept in a warm room they dry out and die in a few days. So don't get your hopes up!

Pics of cones, and fallen seeds:

Attached Files:

3. Finerdreams

Finerdreams Member

Thanks for answering. I have a cone. That's the picture of what I have on the left.

Darlene

4. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Thanks! You could try breaking the cone apart and sowing the seeds, but I would have very low expectations, as at this time of year, the seeds are 5 months immature. Good luck, though!