Identification: Mold fungus,Alger?

Discussion in 'Fungi, Lichens and Slime Molds' started by Sherrie Royce, Mar 25, 2021.

1. Sherrie Royce

Sherrie Royce New Member

Does anyone know what this is on my rock fireplace ?

Attached Files:

2. Margot

Margot Renowned Contributor 10 Years

Hello Sherrie, and welcome to the UBC Forums! I'm embarrassed to say that I cannot tell from your photos any evidence of mold, fungus or whatever but, obviously, you are more aware. Assuming that it is a fungus of some sort, you will want to know why it is growing on your rock fireplace but, just as important in the short term, how to eliminate it. For now, I would spray the face of the rock with household vinegar. It won't do any harm but should kill existing fungus and will buy you some time to figure out what the root of the problem may be.

I'm sure you will hear from others who have better insights than I.

Frog likes this.
  3. Frog

Frog Generous Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

Will take a look when I am able to view on a larger screen - so far I don’t see anything there.

4. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

Good afternoon Sherrie and welcome to the forum. I am struggling to see what you are referring to, but in photo 2 it appears you have black lichen spots. This feeds off the rocks and is one of the most complained about problems with peoples driveways here in the UK.
    There are companies that offer a treatment, but this is often a rather nasty chemical they use. As this is inside your house I would not want it if it were me.
    I am sure in Florida there are companies who can remove it responsibly.

5. Frog

Frog Generous Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

A close-up would be very helpful - perhaps of photo 2 as Acerholic mentions.
    Lichen are unlikely to grow on rock indoors.
    I am curious about the black lichen driveway spots you mention @Acerholic - could you share the scientific name for these?

6. Acerholic

Good morning J, there are so many, so I have attached a link that I use for @Sherrie Royce so she can perhaps ID what it might be. Yes, these are British photos, but it might point her in the right direction.
    Hopefully today a better photo might be forthcoming.

7. Acerholic

@Sherrie Royce here it is, I don't know what is going on with Google over here but a few members are experiencing problems from messages I've received.

Full picture index

8. Sherrie Royce

Sherrie Royce New Member

Here are more photos. I have been researching an spray all kinds of stuff. Home made spray.I would like to share some pics with you. Looked at litchins but idk.​

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 28, 2021
  9. Acerholic

Hi Sherrie, looking at your photos you may have a mold problem. Most local councils /authorities have testing capabilities or a science lab where a sample can be sent to identify it, as it can quickly become a health hazard, ie respiratory. I think I would now go down that route tbh.