Miniture Rose problem

Discussion in 'Rosa (roses)' started by Unregistered, Feb 16, 2006.

1. Why is it that the two miniture roses my husband got me for Valentine's Day are showing signs of dying? The red one is losing its leaves and turning yellow. The yellow rose is showing me drooping buds. This started happening the next DAY! They're damp, but not soaked and in a southeasterly window. What should I do for them? Thanks. Beth

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Come in tiny pots of coarse mix, as do other pot crops grown to be used for a short time and thrown out after special occasion or season is over--like cut flowers. Plunge in water until bubbles stop rising to make sure they really are moist all the way through. You may be surprised. After that check daily for watering needs.

3. Anne Taylor

Anne Taylor Active Member 10 Years

Ron is right. The big push to get product into the store from a greenhouse is pretty brutal for plant material.These plants leave 'eden' for less than perfect conditions. Stuff can sit in dark, unheated trucks, hit temp differences of lord knows how much and be parked for long periods without water. Such is the retail market process. I have had mini roses darned near toast, dragged out of nursery dumpsters and brought back from 'the abyss' of death to great robust health in my yard two years later. Now some varieties are tougher than others, and woe unto me I wound up with ones who at the end weren't my favorite (cream coloured- a little boring) but I shan't whine. So stay tuned. remember.... Roses are outdoor guys truly, and need to be aclimatised back to a position of 6 hours sun when blooming, and 4 seasons to rotate through. Your poor guys don't know what is going on!
    Hang in there, what doesn't kill you makes you stronger right?

4. Mae

Mae Member

You don't say where you are from. But from everything I know about miniature roses, they need to be outside to grow well. A couple of mine dearly died until I planted them outside where they are in their second year and growing strong - almost the size of some of my regular roses!

5. Gardenfever

Gardenfever Active Member

Re: Miniture Rose problem - spider mites

I have 2 mini's in my kitchen window that gets very little sunlight right now - mainly just morning sun and then dapple shade (our lot backs onto a ravine). They've been there since the first week of February. I will be planting mine out this coming week but I'm just waiting for the snow to melt. So far mine are healthy green looking and has about 3 inches of new shoots coming from each rose (there are 5 crammed into the little pot). What I did was I snipped off all the flowers to conserve it's energy. Everyday I spray the plants with a kitchen sprayer (spray hard especially the undersides) or a mister alternating days. The reason being is that many of the mini's from grocery stores come with spider mites; even if not they'll find ya if kept too dry. The roots need to be moist all the time - don't let it dry out. I think the reason being is much of the potting mixture is peat which doesn't wet back up well after it dries out; plus roses just love moist but free draining soil anyway.

This is my experience anyway. Hope this helps.

Karen.

6. maryanne

maryanne Member

Dear Unregistered, I don't seem to have much luck with the mini's either but I love them.
    I have one that seems like it is going to die on me every winter so I change the soil , cut it back & put it where it can get sun for the winter & every spring without fail it has always come back. ( a little plant food helps too)
    A friend of mine has a real green thumb when it comes to mini's, She kills everything else she touches but the mini's love her , I don't know what it is that she does because she is not a real plant person. The mini roses seem to be the only thing she can grow & all I know is she put them in indirect sunlight all day.Hope you can save yours.
    maryanne

7. Weekend Gardener

Weekend Gardener Active Member 10 Years

Miniature roses are a diverse group of plants with differences in cold hardiness and vigour. The miniature potted roses bought in the florist's shops are bred for that specific purpose. Some of them may do well and survive as garden plants, but many others do not make good garden plants. In commerce, they are grown in a greenhouse under controlled conditions. Depending on where you are, some of these miniature roses may not survive a cold winter. And whether they do well for you in your garden depends on the variety that you grow. Your best bet is to go to a reputable nursery and ask someone who knows roses, as to which varieties do best in your climate.

I grow my miniatures in 5 gallon pots, except for a few large plants which I have just transplanted in the garden this season. Miniature roses are miniatures by courtesy of the sizes of their blooms, not the growth habit. Some vigorous miniature rose plant can outsize a good sized hybrid tea bush.

8. Erica

Erica Active Member

I say plant them and see what happens- you have nothing to lose. I had three that were from the grocery store and I just planted them in the garden and lo and behold they have survived the winter and have leaves all over them now.

9. Gardenfever

Gardenfever Active Member

one more tip. all the mini's I've seen so in grocery stores are kordana pot roses. There are other growers but they tend to be more mail-order. If there is a sticker on your pot it may say kordes or kordana or it may say the roses have been trademarked/patented by: then they list some names that usually start with the prefix "kor-".

Anyway, here is the link to kordes' rose site: http://www.kordes-rosen.com/ . Look under kordana pot roses and it will give you more information.

Karen.