*** Maple in Houston, Can it be done

Discussion in 'Maples' started by bford17, Jun 30, 2009.

1. bford17

bford17 Member

Hello all, I recently purchased 2 red dwarf JMs and looking to find a place to put them in my yard. Unfortunately, I live in a new home where all the landscaping is rather new....So, there is no good shaded areas. Am I setting myself up for disaster if I plant in an area that gets 9-4 sun? My house faces Southeast, so in the afternoon there is a spot that will be shielded by the house itself, but still gets a lot of exposure during our HOTTT summer days. I know these things are delicate but I have seen many planted in full sun as I travel frequently for work in similiar climates.I once read an article that claimed JMs could be planted in full sun as the tree would become acclimated to its environment and do well in the 2nd year. I dont expect much this year out of it. I have read many things about how to plant, so feel pretty comfortable moving forward in regards to soil...but was just curious about the sun thing. Any help from someone would be extremely appreciated..especially if you have experience with 100+ summer days

2. Kaitain4

Kaitain4 Well-Known Member Maple Society 10 Years

I would leave them in pots for now. Plant in the fall. Give them as much shade as you possibly can..

3. Gomero

Gomero Well-Known Member Maple Society 10 Years

In Japan the species (A.palmatum and A. amoenum) are found in all kinds of expositions including full sun. Indeed in my area, where we hit into the 100's each summer, palmatum seedlings take full sun admirably. The main limitation here is rainfall not heat.
    With the cultivars the situation is more complex since many require protection from hot afternoon sun for survival, specially in your area. So depending on the cultivars you bought (unless they are seedlings), you may or you may not successfully grow them in your garden. There are several threads in this forum discussing which cultivars are best for conditions like yours, I suggest you browse through them for information.

Gomero

4. bford17

bford17 Member

Re: Japanese Maple in Houston, Can it be done

Thanks for your help. Im not sure what cultivar it is. The tag simply said "acer palmatum nanna". I will try to take a picture of it to see if anyone can recognize it...the picture on the tag, looks more like a shrub than a tree, but gauging by what it looks like now gives me the impression it will look more like a tree...im sure sometimes these garden centers use generic tags...

5. JohanAbrandt

JohanAbrandt Active Member

Re: Japanese Maple in Houston, Can it be done

"Nanna" or "Nana"?

6. bford17

bford17 Member

sorry, I think it is nana..That sounds and looks right..I think my wife threw away the tag. I have attached some pictures

Attached Files:

7. nelran

nelran Active Member

I live in Houston (surroundings), and actually I have around 40 different cultivars in my garden (some already planted some still in pots). As you, I started my garden almost 4 years ago from scratch and since then I collected and added these wonderful trees. As Gomero says, this site has plenty of info (better than a lot of books), so I recommend you to browse a bit.

Nelran

8. bford17

bford17 Member

Nelran, since you live in Houston, would you mind giving me a couple of cultivars that you have found that do well in full sun? I am looking to get a bigger tree for a focal point on one end of my flower bed in front of the house. Thanks for any help you can give.

9. bkb

bkb Member

I really doubt that any Japanese Maple will do well in full sun in Houston, Tx. I'm in Austin and my maples will get leaf burn if they get more than a few hours of sun. With the temperatures over 100 for the past 3 weeks straight, I think you will be asking for trouble. I'd recommend a few hours of morning sun at the most.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2009
  10. nelran

nelran Active Member

bford17,

What I say is that you can grow JMs here in this weather. Of course don't expect that the trees will perform as in northern locations, they won't. Also you need to be very patient and take additional care during first years or if you're planning to keep them in containers. It's 10 times more difficult to thrive a JM in pot than one in ground, with this weather.
    The worst time for them here is in summer. This year is exceptionally dry so expect a lot of leaf sunburn (even with maples kept in full shadow). For potted trees, keep them well watered (almost dairy) and protect them with a shade cloth (if you don't have good shadow spots).
    I experimented with several cultivars and different methods, but the best way to keep them happy is planting them in ground. In may case I have several cultivars planted in ground and the same cultivars in pots (bought at the same time). After almost 4 years, the planted ones are thriving exceptionally with practically no leaf damage due sun or heat, and they grew three times bigger than the potted ones.
    Currently, this is what I have in ground:
    - A beautiful 'butterfly' is growing nice, no leaf sunburn or scorch with full sun exposition (almost 12 hours!)
    - 'Seiryu' is another winner, close the butterfly wit full sun. Its outperformed its potted sibling by 4 to 1. Just mild burns in the tips of younger branches.
    - 'Sango Kaku': I had three of them planted, (one is gone to the 'tree heaven'), other two are doing excellent this year. I have one in pot located close to the planted ones: it has a lot of leaf scorch and also bark sunburn.
    - 'Palmatum' green, well I had to have the "dad' of all of these cultivars: excellent performer, by far this is the easiest of all JM to grow here.
    - 'Atropurpureum' it has a lot of leaf sunburn, and not good grow, however it was only on ground for a year.
    - 'viridis' I got this maple a long time ago in really bad shape, (That was my fist JM) and planted several years ago with no particular outstanding grow. However this year is growing like a crazy and duplicated its canopy and branches.

There are some examples, (I will continue later with this post).

Nelran

Last edited: Jul 9, 2009
  11. bkb

bkb Member

Nelran,

I've got my Maples in Pots, so maybe that is the difference.

The butterfly you mentioned, it get's no shade at all? That's wonderful to hear. I think I may try to acquire one this weekend. Did you see leafburn the first year, but not the second?

Any other cultivars that do well from Morning to Evening sun without burning up? I'm excited to hear your comments!

12. bford17

bford17 Member

Nelran,

Thank you so much for your help. That is some great information. Where do you buy your trees from? Do you have a local nursery or do you get them online??? What about you bkb, where do you buy yours from. The only local nurseries we have, just has the basic of JMs...I would like to find some variety..

13. bkb

bkb Member

I just took a trip to DFW and visited MetroMaples. I bought 6 maples from them. The maples I bought were 1-3 gallons but they also have some wonderful specimen trees. I've also bought a few online from worldplants.