Majesty Palm problem: humidity or fungus?

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by soxfan, Jun 23, 2007.

1. soxfan

soxfan Member

Hi there:

I know better NOW, but several months ago, I bought a Majesty Palm and potted it and put it my front room (faces south, nice and sunny, but not direct). I keep the soil moist as well.

Alas, the poor thing is getting brown patches and drying out on the fronds, which split and then die back. It affects mostly the older fronds, but I'm starting to notice it on some of the newer ones as well (including a brown spot on the spine of a new one which concerns me a good deal).

I'm not sure whether this is a problem of lack of humidity/water or whether it's a fungus. I have several other plants, and very much don't want to risk spreading any sort of disease to them. Do I simply need to be more careful about humidity, etc., or do I need to cut back the browning foliage, spray the rest with fungicide and hope for the best, or just call it a lost cause?

Thank you for your help--if you need more photos or info, please let me know!

Attached Files:

2. Bluewing

Bluewing Well-Known Member

This particular palm wants LOTS of light, water and fertilizer, BUT, they can be very hard plants to keep indoors. They should NOT even be sold as "indoor" plants. So don't feel too bad if things don't go right, even though you are doing everything right, because so many people find them to be very difficult trying to keep them looking healthy, or even alive.

3. photopro

photopro Well-Known Member

Amen to that Bluewing! Ravenea rivularis (Majesty Palm) should never be sold as houseplants. This palm can get quite large and virtually all of them eventually die for lack of light! The only hope of saving this one is keep it outdoors in fairly bright light until the first chance of freeze, then bring it in for the winter. They can tolerate a very light freeze, but not long term. Keep it where it will receive the strongest light possible. And if you use well draining soil you should keep it damp all the time. Mine is planted in an atrium and we have to cut off 4 or more fronds each year since it grows constantly. Most of the fronds we cut are over 9 feet long! But that one receives water almost daily in the summer and 3 days a week in the winter. Does that sound like a plant you want in your living room?

It is a beautiful plant, but it should not be sold as a house plant!

Last edited: Jul 4, 2007
  4. zinfandel18

zinfandel18 Member

I am having the same issue with mine. Did you find out if it was a fungus or what is causing the problem?

Thanks.

5. Dave-Florida

Dave-Florida Active Member

One of the odd ironies of this plant in Florida is that it flourishes in areas where freezes are uncommon, but seems typically to be sold as an indoor plant.

I'd give the palm as much light as possible. They like water. A friend has one growing at the edge of a canal. All told, I think your leaves are looking reasonably good. It's quite normal on a variety of palms for leaves to get ratty-looking as they age.

For further indoor planting, there's always "Kentia" (actually Howea) and assorted species of Chamaedorea from Mexico and Central America, both tough and cute.

6. Denis Kk

Denis Kk New Member

Did you get an answer? I’ve the same issue