Magnolia question

Discussion in 'Magnoliaceae' started by portlandrose, Apr 19, 2007.

1. portlandrose

portlandrose Member

I have an area in my back yard, part/sun, good soil, good drainage, wind protected and would like to plant either a magnolia sieboldii or magnolia wilsonii, but I have only been able to find pictures of the blooms, not the tree shape. I know the Wilsonii is a multi stemmed tree, but I can't figure out if the sieboldii is a tree shape or shrub. I'm looking for a tree shape. Also, I had intended to plant a flowering dogwood but read so much about disease problems that I became intimidated. Is this really a problem for my area? Which tree would you recommend for Portland Metro area backyard? The tree would be at least 10 feet from fence and other sides would be open to flower beds and grass yard. I appreciate any comments.

2. chimera

chimera Well-Known Member 10 Years

M. sieboldii is generally multi stemmed also, suppose it could be trained to a single stemmed small tree. Larger stems for its height than M. wilsonii here. Will try to add pics later.

3. jimmyq

jimmyq Well-Known Member 10 Years

two of my favorite magnolias. they are both multi stemmed from the base generally and grow in a broad shape, not 'tree' shaped, as in no central leader or trunk. lovely perfume for both of them.

4. chimera

M. wilsonii

Attached Files:

5. portlandrose

portlandrose Member

Thanks, I'm thinking I'll go with the Sieboldii, and forget the Dogwood, unless you think the form of the Wilsonii is prettier than Sieboldii. Since you seem well informed about Magnolias I've already planned for a Magnolia x Soulangeana Brozzoni for my front yard...is this a good choice too? Thanks.

6. chimera

Sorry not familiar with 'Brozzoni'. First pic is M. wilsonii {from seed}, next M. sieboldii, could stand a little pruning. Prefer M. wilsonii for flowers , clean white, and observation from beneath the tree, but everybody has their preferences and growing situations. Maybe some more mature examples of these magnolias are growing in your area which you could observe in person, well worth the research and various opinions, you're welcome

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 19, 2007
  7. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

That Wilson magnolia flower is aberrant, with narrower tepals and more of them than usual.

8. chimera

RonB, Maybe this is a better pic of the M. wilsonii flowers, same tree and day pic taken. Some variation in the species. In her book Callaway states "9 {12} spatulate tepals". Are you thinking it may be a different magnolia species or a hybrid ?

Attached Files:

9. Ron B

Looks typical aside from the numerous tepals producing a daisy-like appearance. Putting the '12' in brackets indicates that quantity is known but is exceptional. I've never seen a similar example elsewhere.

10. chimera

Yes, wide open in bright sun and pic taken nearly directly below and looking up into the flower.

11. chimera

Haven't seen many blooming in this area to compare with , nor seen it available in retail nurseries . M. sieboldii sold here in the retail outlets.

12. jimmyq

chimera, try Riverview when the time is right. I assisted a bit on a tree walk last weekend and the wilsonii was well budded but probably two or more weeks from blooming. Look next to thte cabled Catalpa on the north lawn.

13. chimera

jimmyQ, Will try to get there, must be at least 12 years since the last time, awesome. Some at Van Duesen and U.B.C., also. Have a young one here from the V.D. plant sale , but likely at least 4-5 years from blooming, originated there. Guess it could have been started from a cutting or seed. Will be interesting to see any variations. Blooms about a week earlier than M. sieboldii here, maybe because of location.

14. jimmyq

all good. as they say in retail... location, location, location. :)

15. chimera

RonB. Came from Magnolia Society seed early 90s. Don't know if it was from a particular cultivar or form, but may have been.

16. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

17. chimera

Interesting. It does seem to be developing into a small single stemmed tree, no tendency to be multi stemmed yet. Will be interesting to see if it comes true when seed is produced. This site www.asperupgaard.dk/plantegrupper/Magnolia/Magnolia wilsonii/billeder.html shows some interesting variations of M. wilsonii, some with many tepals on pages 7-10. Off topic, but a young M. sprengeri 'Diva', if named correctly, blooming nicely today.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 21, 2007
    wcutler likes this.
  18. Ron B

Looks like the clone in North American commerce. The Washington Park Arboretum, Seattle has a specimen 58 1/2 ft. high (2006) of another form that is a clonal propagation of the original wild-collected seedling at Caerhays. See painting in Johnstone, Asiatic Magnolias in Cultivation.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2007
  19. chimera

Believe it is. Had only between 3-15 flowers the previous 3 years, hope it will keep blooming more profusely from now on. About 45'. Think 'Diva' and seedlings 'Eric Savill' and 'Claret Cup' are at U.B.C.

20. Ron B

It's 45 ft. tall? Odd that a graft or cutting would take that long to bloom. I've seen 'Claret Cup' in the Lam garden. I planted an 'Eric Savill' here but it died, possibly came with honey fungus in the root ball. That's OK, although the flowers of this cultivar are strongly colored the tepals are often wrinkled producing a displeasing appearance.

21. chimera

It's about 17 years old, first bloom at 12-13 years. Took about 4-5 years to get established, but vigorous since then. Lost 2 other 'Diva' here before they reached 2', one may have been to slugs and not sure about the other one, possibly root problems.

22. Ron B

Definitely a clonal propagation, or could it be a seedling?

23. chimera

Correct a clone, it came from Gosslers. Magnolias seem especially floriferous here this year and a prolonged flowering period with early bloomers still flowering along with some of the usually later bloomers opening now. Cool spring.

24. chimera

Thankyous , didn't realize the M. wilsonii flower shown was non typical. Read 'Brozzonii' the "aristocrat of the soulangianas". Maybe Google it.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2007