looking for roses

Discussion in 'Rosa (roses)' started by Mistral, Feb 25, 2008.

1. Mistral

Mistral Member

Hello,
    I would like to plant some hard to find roses such as Parade, A Shropshire Lad, Mutabalis, Bobbie James, etc. Is there a nursery I could visit in Vancouver or The Lower Mainland that might carry roses other than the usual ones found in every nursery. Thanks very much.

Mistral

2. 1950Greg

1950Greg Active Member

Langley, B.C. Stones throw from old HBC farm.
    Cedar Rim Nursery On Glover road in Langley has a fair collection of roses that are in stock now and they usually have a good selection of David Austin roses. I usually order mine from Hortico Nurseries in Ontario and have had good results and service. They have a wide selection of roses you can find them online.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2008
  3. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Yes, in the past roses like these stocked by garden centers even down here in the US were all coming from eastern Canadian nurseries Pickering and Hortico. The ones you have listed are not rare as far as these types go, after you have checked the right sources.

4. Mistral

Mistral Member

Thanks very much for the information, I will investigate all of these sources.

5. Weekend Gardener

Weekend Gardener Active Member 10 Years

Pickerings has Parade and A Shropshire Lad. If you are thinking about it, you should make up your mind soon. Now is the time to order for spring delivery. Another month may be too late for the year.

6. plantenthusiast

plantenthusiast Active Member

Mistral,

You might try www.botanus.com, I believe that they carry some of the varieties you mentioned. There is also Hortico, as mentioned above, and Old Heirloom Roses.

These companies are not specifically ones that I have dealt with, and I am sure that you'll have good luck in finding other mail order companies that sell those specific varieties online.

Good luck in your search,

7. Mistral

Mistral Member

Thank you, I will check out Botanus. I had not heard of them.

Mistral