Little planting of the day

Discussion in 'Maples' started by Shin-Deshojo, Feb 21, 2021.

1. Shin-Deshojo

Shin-Deshojo Well-Known Member

My nephew is born last week, so i welcomed him planting some trees at my sister's house.

Arakawa

20210221_172256.jpg
    20210221_172303.jpg
    20210221_172308.jpg

Koto hime, 2 Roses and a chamaecyparis.
    I will add in the back a shirasawanum Aureum next time.

20210221_172326.jpg
    20210221_172340.jpg
    20210221_172356.jpg

zfrittz, AlainK and Acerholic like this.
  2. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

Congratulations I on the arrival of your nephew. New life in Spring, doesn't get any better than that and you have started him on the path to being a future Maple holic, Lol. Well let's hope so !! Great trees, I especially love the bark of Arakawa.

Shin-Deshojo likes this.
  3. AlainK

AlainK Renowned Contributor Forums Moderator Maple Society 10 Years

What a nice idea !

... or what a good excuse to spread maplemania <LOL>

Shin-Deshojo likes this.
  4. Shin-Deshojo

Thank you D,
    let's hope he will become a Maple holic

5. Shin-Deshojo

Lol, you got me.

6. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Looks good, and great idea. Congratulations on the new family member. Now get some mulch on those things! :)

7. Shin-Deshojo

Thank you,
    Yes the next step is to cover the soil, but i'll let my brother in law do it as i have more trees to plant at my home and they live a bit far away from me.

8. Shin-Deshojo

I have found the time to plant the shirasawanum Aureum today.
    I'm sure she will love it once in full leaf.
    20210228_162331.jpg
    20210228_162349.jpg
    20210228_162356.jpg
    20210228_162328.jpg

Acerholic likes this.
  9. AlainK

There's no doubt about it. Who can be indifferent to the beauty of Shirasawanum aureum?

Shin-Deshojo likes this.
  10. Acerholic

Looking very good I. Hope you don't mind me commenting, but do keep the soil away from the trunk.

Shin-Deshojo likes this.
  11. Shin-Deshojo

Thanks D,
    I don't mind at all, your advices are always very welcomed.
    I will remove the soil around the trunk next time, thanks for remembering me basics rules, I planted it in 10 min only...I admit that I didn't do it properly ; )

12. Acerholic

I will be planting a new tree tomorrow, a replacement Acer Griseum I'm getting as an early birthday present. I will post photos, so I will be going very careful not to do anything wrong after making a comment on your Aureum. Lol.

Shin-Deshojo likes this.
  13. AlainK

You mean, a levitating tree ? (Joker)

I think most of Belgium can be as wet as southern England : if by "keeping the soil away from the trrunk" you mean making a sort of pool, I think it's a bit risky, water might fill in and if there's heavy rain, drown the roots.
    Mulching could be a good option though, making a small lenticular mound at "normal" soil level. The roots of Acer "palmoenum" (c) don't go far beyond the surface so when it's wet, it can absorb water, but when it's dry, the soil will take much longer to dry out. Maybe that's what you meant ?

So far, I've tried :
    - 5-7 mm (one fitfh of an inch or so) pozzolan (or "pouzzolane" as we say here), a 2-3 cm high layer (inch and half a pinky nail). Good for the sight, but needs to be taken out the "soil" weeded out, and replaced in, say July.
    - pine bark 5-7 cm (two inches and plus) : good if there is enough space to the rim of the pot, 5 cm is the minimum.
    - hemp straw : light colour, I prefer the colour of pozzolan or pine bark. Makes good addition to compost in two years' time.

PS : I knew a guy who built some of the walls of his house with a mix of hemp and lime he put between beams : it gest harder and harder as times passes (the hemp straw becomes somewhat petrified, but it keeps a kind of lightness) it's excellent for insulation.

Makes excellent ropes too : I participated in making a rope for a ship, turning stands of fibers from two sorts of "tourniquets". Saw the same thing later at the building site of "L'hermione" in Rochefort-en-Terre... The "Corderie" is 374 metres long (1227,03 feet, 409,011 yards, etc.)

[​IMG]
    PS : two friends of mine made a pop-up book about "l'Hermione", not very many copies printed and sold-out now, but you can browse a few pages online :

https://livre.fnac.com/a9847486/Anne-Florence-Lemasson-L-Hermione-le-livre-pop-up

Shin-Deshojo likes this.
  14. Shin-Deshojo

Haha, you'd better do, as will be watching carefully your pictures lol.

15. Shin-Deshojo

@AlainK ,
    I think he just meant to advise me to not bury the trunk base too much like they do on some nurseries.

16. Acerholic

Good morning Alain, no not a pool, just a mound with no soil touching the trunk. Hope I didn't confuse anybody.

Shin-Deshojo likes this.
  17. Acerholic

It arrived an hour ago and is already planted. My new Acer Griseum in a 10ltr pot.
    It is in a raised planting area in a part of my front garden that has grasses. Had to water in very well as no rain here for the last 9 days.
    It is just over 7ft tall with peeling bark already lower down the trunk. It will have a nice root flare looking at it and this will be kept uncovered.
    Anyway that's my little planting of the day.
    IMG_20210301_081711845_HDR.jpg IMG_20210301_081703053.jpg IMG_20210301_081659847.jpg
    Now for the nervous wait to see it leaf out. Probably in May here in England.

Shin-Deshojo likes this.
  18. Shin-Deshojo

Very nice D,
    best way to start the day.
    Looks like a good sized tree, I hope you had fun planting it.

Acerholic likes this.
  19. Acerholic

Thanks I, yes I did but even after all the years of planting maples, was still nervous. Think it's because I lost my other one last year. This is an 8 year old tree so fingers crossed it will do well.
    Yes a very good start to the day, have a good one yourself.

Shin-Deshojo likes this.