Lily Magnolia looking uphappy

Discussion in 'Magnoliaceae' started by jonathanovision, Oct 18, 2018.

1. jonathanovision

jonathanovision New Member

Hi,

Never had a magnolia tree before but I picked this up and planted at work.
    It is very tall spindly because of where it was at the garden centre.

Planted it earlier this year, and started growing shoots out the side and looked like it was going good. Growth seemed to slow down the last few months, and now some of the leaves aren't looking to great.

I don't know the type of magnolia, I believe it is a lily magnolia type but not 100% sure.

Are these leaves a sign of a problem or just getting ready to fall off for the season?

Looks like a fungus?

Thanks

Jon

Attached Files:

2. Margot

Margot Renowned Contributor 10 Years

Although our weather the past 2 weeks or more has seemed more like summer than autumn, trees know winter is coming and are letting their leaves go. I would not worry about the discolouration you see on the leaves of your new magnolia - looks like expected leaf senescence to me. If you suspect there may be fungal problems, it would be a good idea to gather up the leaves and dispose of them off-site. Providing you have planted the tree properly in an appropriate location, there is no reason not to expect it to prosper next year and beyond.

3. jonathanovision

jonathanovision New Member

I planted the tree between our parking lot and side walk, we had a bit of a hedge, and what I feel is sufficient room for a medium sized tree. It has watering during the summer, however its very flat and I doubt that area drains quickly. My understanding is that magnolia trees want good drainage? Not much I can do now, see if it survives.

You can see where the tree is situated in the attached picture ( I need to weed a bit by the looks of it ).

Thanks

Attached Files:

4. Margot

Margot Renowned Contributor 10 Years

I agree that your magnolia is not in the most ideal spot but, as you say, there's not much you can do now other than dig it up and replant it in an oak half-barrel or another location. If it was root bound when you bought it, that could be an ongoing problem too.

It would be interesting to look at other magnolias in the area to see how the leaves on your tree compare to theirs. You never know, it may thrive where it is and give you years of enjoyment.

5. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

I would also add that spindly is a word I associate with lily magnolias--I don't think it will ever be a dense tree.

6. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Has the habit and leaves of one of the more arborescent Yulania such as Magnolia sprengeri. Of which 'Galaxy' (Magnolia liliiflora 'Nigra' x M. sprengeri 'Diva') is an example that has been on the general market.

Otherwise there are many hybrids of M. liliiflora that have been selected and distributed, with the summer foliage mildew asked about here a widely shared feature of these.