Keeping a Mandolina Through the winter

Discussion in 'Vines and Climbers' started by MALCOLMINCLAREMONT, Sep 17, 2008.

1. MALCOLMINCLAREMONT

MALCOLMINCLAREMONT Member

We have a mandolina Plant (at least thats what I believe it is called) . It is a Climbing plant with Red Trumpet shaped Flowers. It has been growing in a Large pot all summer and I would like to be able to preserve it for next year. Can someone provide some direction as to what to do? Things like Should it be cut back? Should it be brought indoors? Is it just an Annual and I should forget it? I have attached a photo of the plant, The trellis it is climbing on is about 6 feet high as a reference as to size.

Attached Files:

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Mandevilla. Will have to prune just to get it free of what it is clinging to. Move to intermediate area, where bugs etc. can escape before moving inside house. Would do best in atrium or greenhouse.

3. MALCOLMINCLAREMONT

Thanks Ron
    as an additional question, Just how much should it be pruned? (I could actually move it without pruning). I have a basement area that while not hot, has full time lighting.

4. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

You'd be pruning it to suit yourself, as is usually the case. If you would rather keep the whole thing and can manage it, then do that.

5. MALCOLMINCLAREMONT

Thanks again, I think I will prune it at least somewhat so it does not keep trying to climb into the Tree that is overhead at the start of next year.

6. bwhitneyaz

bwhitneyaz Member

I live in scottsdale az and we have an open ceiling atrium in the center of the house. will the mandevilla be ok when temperatures drop to 30 degrees?