Katsura tree query

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by Kev D., Aug 23, 2020.

1. Kev D.

Kev D. New Member

I have a query regarding cercidiphyllum japonicum and exposure to wind.
    I have one planted in an inland area of Donegal Ireland. It's been planted 4-5years but was a large 4m multistem when planted, it is in fertile though heavy soil that holds moisture well. It does seem to be getting wind scorched though.
    Does anyone have experience growing these in exposed locations? If not would moving a katsura tree this size be practical?
    Any advice greatly appreciated

2. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

@Kev D. Good morning Kev, it would help if you could post a photo of your tree so that members could see what you are looking at in the way of size. I have attached a link in case you are unsure how to do this.

Attach photos and files

I also have this tree, although 'very small' but it does not enjoy the wind too much at all.
    This year has been quite exceptional with the heat, so scorching is going to happen I'm afraid.

Await your photos !!!

3. Kev D.

Kev D. New Member

Hi and thanks Aceraholic,
    I have pics attached. Leaf damage is partly from late frost , mid May, which is unusual here. We have also had a stormy summer which didn't help

Attached Files:

4. Acerholic

@Kev D. To start with Kev, this does not look at all bad IMO. I have seen a great many trees 'this year' looking very bad and your Katsura does not fall into that bracket.
    If you are thinking of moving it, then looking at the size and weight of the root ball I would be thinking about a mechanical lift. Of course a few strong people would be able to manage this, but it would still be very heavy and a lot of damage could possibly be caused.
    I can see you have no problems with drought as everything is very green and lush, as it always is in Ireland. But what was the weather like in May of this year?? A lot of problems are often caused many months earlier during leafing out. This results in leaf damage later in the Summer.
    If this was me, I would wait another year and ensure you water this tree well in April/ May if it is unusually dry and see how it goes.
    These leaves will drop in a couple of months, so there is nothing to be gained aesthetically this season.
    I am sure you will still get the lovely scent that the Katsura tree gives in a few weeks.

Whatever you decide, please do post updates.

Hope that helps a little Kev.

5. Kev D.

Kev D. New Member

It was a weird spring here, dry April and may but an awful late frost that blitzed my maples.(I had meant to post pictures of these but they were not at all photogenic!)
    Incidentally I plucked some of these bare and they came back nicely, better than the ones I didn't touch.
    We then had a very stormy late may and June, followed by an extremely wet July and humid hot August.
    I hate to see the katsura tree damaged though as it is right by my front door. There is a 4m+ hedge to the SW of it which should help I suppose?
    Again thanks for ur replies Aceraholic

Acerholic likes this.
  6. Kev D.

Kev D. New Member

These pics are to the SW of the tree , prevailing wind

Attached Files:

7. Acerholic

@Kev D. A dry April and May will play havoc on your tree in the Summer and the late Spring frosts will exasperate the problem, so I think this is why your Katsura is showing the signs of stress now.

2021, make a note to water well in April and or May.

Maples you say, that sounds interesting !!!! The maples forum world love to see them.

8. Acerholic

@Kev D. Just saw this as I pressed send. The 3 Betula you have planted will in time give a lot of protection and they are wind and heat hardy.
    Are they Snow Queens btw?

9. Kev D.

Kev D. New Member

They are ordinary betula pendula but have nice bark nonetheless. I will post some pictures of the maples on the forum but i need to use a better camera than the one on this phone!

10. Acerholic

@Kev D. OK look forward to seeing them (maples). The Betula trees do look nice, the bark is standing out well. Won't take too long to give more protection, as they are quite fast growers.