JM recommendations for shadier areas

Discussion in 'Maples' started by Southernwayfarer, Aug 30, 2020.

1. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

@Houzi good morning J, yes alkaline soil will in the end be the downfall of any planted maple. I have friends who have these trees and are also on alkaline, so all are in pots and so they can enjoy them.
    Agree with the shorts again, South of England possibly 31° C on Monday!!!?
    Have a lovely weekend.

2. Houzi

Houzi Active Member 10 Years

Top of the morning to you D,yes it's gonna get hot again dammit! ha ha.I think there is some degree of mythology regarding JMs and ph.I think they are another plant that falls into the 'will do best on neutral-acid soil' category.Whilst there must be some very alkaline areas where you can't grow them,they can take a certain amount and do well. As you know there's a lot of chalk in Kent,but 1000's of people have JMs in their gardens,many of maturity.There's also a fair amount of camelias though I suspect their threshold is lower.I certainly don't think ericaceous compost is absolutely necessary for Jms and have never used it.I also water with our tap water.However there must be some soils that are too alkaline to grow them but I would have thought people in such areas are well aware of their problem soil.
    Hmm it was blue skies&sun when I started this reply....looks dull&grey now....have a super day D

3. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

Couldn't agree more J. I keep my soil a touch below neutral but nothing lower. The old adage of it must be acidic, is definatly a myth. I have never used ericaceous compost, just John Innes no2 and 3 for my older maples. Mixed with potting pine bark and horticultural grit and Perlite, this makes for a very good medium IMO.
    Surprised that your tap water is OK. I use rain water as being just outside Winchester there is a lot of chalk.

And where has that sun gone !!!!? LOL.

Have a good weekend J.

4. AlainK

AlainK Renowned Contributor Forums Moderator Maple Society 10 Years

Actually, I think I've worn jeans only two ro three days for over two months now...