Japanese Maples: The Complete Guide to Selection and Cultivation, Fourth Edition

Discussion in 'Maples' started by sasquatch, Feb 17, 2010.

1. zonebreaker

zonebreaker Active Member

Wow you really is serius! i´m impressed! Very nice data to have.
    A small note from me and my maples. The big thing to get them to survive here is to have as long period between the frosts as possible.
    The last spring frost is said to be jun 4 and the first frost in autum in mid september. If you shelter them from the first frosty nights you can have another month without frost.
    And another thing is that our(mine) summers is not as warm as they are in winnipeg. About the winter cold , i had over 2 weeks over -25 C. But i dont think the winter temperatures matters so much -10 or - 30 doesn´t make a big differens on survival ,but longer growt period does.
    The thing about sweden and norway climate is that the gulf stream keep us warmer than average citys in 63 degree N. Hope this info helps.

2. prairiestyle

prairiestyle Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

Good question... now that you mention it I don't know remember where on the tree the leaves were. My guess is that it was new growth on the 'Ki hachijo', that which would be closest to viewing height. I'll also have to pay more attention to it this year, as I don't recall the leaves near the bottom being different, but it's quite possible that I simply did not notice them. The leaves I do remember were definitely similar to those pictured on 164.

True, I probably should have said that the colors representing the 'Murasaki kiyohime' in the book are different (more fluorescent) than those I've seen in person. And, as stated in another post, maybe it was the growing conditions of the trees, the source material (maybe mislabeled summer-faded 'Murasaki hime'), or some other factor lessened the colors. A wonderful tree though, among my favorite dwarfs!

Christian

3. chimera

chimera Well-Known Member 10 Years

Would be interesting to hear if some 'Ki Hachijo' do hold those leaf shapes. Westonbirt Arboretum has it listed , but no photo I could find.

4. mattlwfowler

mattlwfowler Active Member Maple Society

My Kihachijo does not normally show foliage cut that deeply, nor does the Esveld site.

5. Kaitain4

Kaitain4 Well-Known Member Maple Society 10 Years

I questioned this myself, as I bought this cultivar specifically because I loved those deeply serrated leaves as shown in this book. Very disappointing. The question I have is - if that picture is not 'Ki hachijo', then what is it? Whatever it is, I want it!

6. alex66

alex66 Rising Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

just read random this new edition is fantastic!!

7. prairiestyle

My 'Ki hachijo' has fully leafed out, and all the young growth has margins similar to your first picture in post #50, though not necessarily as jagged as the page 164 photo (though there are some very serrated edges on some leaves). The growth on older branches as much less serration. I'll try to post a picture of both soon!

Christian

8. prairiestyle

Better late than never! (pictures also posted in 'Kihachijo photo gallery)

Pics taken today, Nov. 15 2010

First pic- chunky-margined young leaf
    Second pic - old growth

Attached Files:

• 093.jpg
      093.jpg
      File size:
      114 KB
      Views:
    • 094.jpg
      094.jpg
      File size: