Jade plant leaf problem

Discussion in 'Cacti and Succulents' started by Corkie, Feb 12, 2009.

1. Corkie

Corkie Member

Hi, I have a Jade plant cutting from my grandparents plant that originated in 1912. I have attached a picture of a leaf that has a problem. I have taken many cuttings from this plant and this is the first sign of worry. Can anyone help?

Attached Files:

2. togata57

togata57 Generous Contributor 10 Years

Wonder if this is the same problem powerlight was having with his jade plant about 3 weeks ago---check "Brown Scale on Jade" posting. As I recall we came to no consensus as to its cause...you might be interested to read our speculations nonetheless.

Wow! 97 years old! Guess it's entitled to a few age spots. Hope that the collective brain power on the Forum will diagnose your jade plant's ailment so that it can continue its laudable longevity!

3. Bluewing

Bluewing Well-Known Member

Heeeere we go again:)

My two cents worth, which probably isn't worth dirt for your problem....
    Possibly from excess salts or minerals in the soil???.
    If it's just the one leaf, or just a few, I would pinch them off and then next watering, really flush the soil out and see if maybe that helps.

4. K Baron

K Baron Well-Known Member

Hi Corkie, and welcome to the UBC forum,

I am an ardent grower of Crassulas, 26 yrs....and the Jade plant in question is one of my success stories...

I would need more information on this cutting, propagation, potting medium, watering regime, fertilising, and exposure etc...

Over watering, fertisiler burn and other factors may be at play...

5. Corkie

Corkie Member

Thanks to you all, I will answer to my best ability

1. to toga, I don't think it is scale, it is very smooth but pitted.
    2. Bluewing, it could be that, I will explain in my answer to K.
    3. to K, I have had the plant in the same pot for over 2 years, it is in a south facing window that gets direct sunlight for part of the year, right now being the part. It is now about a metre tall, I water it maybe once a month, sometimes more often but I usually just ignore it. I fertilize with the watering with Shultz plant food, a few drops in the litre of water. I potted it with cactus soil. There do seem to be roots at the top of the soil, maybe I just need to repot. the leaf in question was at the top of the plant and was the only one affected.

Thanks again to all.

Attached Files:

6. Wolvie150

Wolvie150 Active Member

Only one at top of plant. And near a table - foreign chemical burn?

7. Bluewing

Bluewing Well-Known Member

Your care of the jade seems to be fine....

The problem does not appear to be too serious with just one leaf being effected at this time, and as long as the rest of the plant looks healthy (which is does) I would check the root-ball. If it's seriously root-bound (roots wrapping around and around inside the pot) more roots than soil, or it has less then an inch or two of room between the roots and inside the pot, re-potting might be a good idea to put that on your to-do list:)

8. Corkie

Corkie Member

Thanks so much everyone, I guess we can lay this thread to rest now.
    Tata Corkie