Indoor Pine Tree

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by NoGrThumb, Mar 25, 2008.

1. NoGrThumb

NoGrThumb Member

I would like to purchase a Pine Tree that is being offered. I would like to cut about 2 feet off of the top (but won't without the knowledge to do so). I wonder, would it be a bad idea or is it done? I am very inexperienced with plants and trees so this is purely from a 'cosmetic' view.

2. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Pines don't do well indoors, and cutting the top off is also very bad for them (it would make it look very ugly, and may kill it). Sorry!

3. NoGrThumb

NoGrThumb Member

Thank you Michael, i didn't know that. I see so many of them on CraigsList and are all potted. so, if i just plant it outside (any particular area?) would that be the best- i guess. thing is, if it has been indoors and is 3 1/2 feet, does it need to be climatized or is this just an outdoor tree and it will be fine?

4. NoGrThumb

NoGrThumb Member

Thank you Michael, i didn't know that. I see so many of them on CraigsList and are all potted. so, if i just plant it outside (any particular area?) would that be the best- i guess. thing is, if it has been indoors and is 3 1/2 feet, does it need to be climatized or is this just an outdoor tree and it will be fine?

5. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Depends on what species of pine - there's about 115 species altogether, many hardy, others not hardy. Can you get a photo? Or get the full scientific name? (should be Pinus something)

6. Therion

Therion Member

Pines don't do well indoors, as I sadly found out when when my girlfriend brought home a "living" Christmas tree. It started drying out right away and died in about a month. If you want an indoor pine, try the Norfolk Island Pine, which can do well indoors, as long as you give it humidity and keep temperatures below 21 degrees Celsius.

7. Eric La Fountaine

Eric La Fountaine Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

8. Therion

Therion Member

That is true, Eric, I forgot to point that out. Looks quite pine-like, though, so should serve well as a replacement.