I want my moth orchids to bloom!!

Discussion in 'Orchidaceae (orchids)' started by MajestyPalm, Nov 12, 2008.

1. MajestyPalm

MajestyPalm Member

They haven't bloomed for a while due to bad conditioning, now they've been placed over humidity pebble tray and water every so often and misted twice daily, i also use pro orchid fertilizer and soil mix, charcoal, bark, rocks . the flower stems completely gone. Help
    ?
    -Wayne-

2. arcticshaun

arcticshaun Active Member

It can take a bit of time after getting the plants health staightened out before it can bloom. Have you seen lots of new root and leaf growth since repotting? Don't worry about the loss of the old flower stalk when your plant is ready to bloom it will produce a new one. Make sure your Phalaenopsis gets good light as these plants can go somewhat dormant in the shorter and dimmer days of winter. Also watch your watering if your growing in a window the plants using less water as the strength of the light diminishes so a watering scehule can lead to overwatering in winter.

Good luck
    Shaun

3. togata57

togata57 Generous Contributor 10 Years

Patience, MajestyP.---patience!

4. caddis

caddis Member

If the plant is looking nice and robust the big thing with phals is a need for a temperature change to initiate blooming. Cut back on the nitrogen fertilizer get it in a cool place so the daily temperature changes, if you can get 20 degrees from day to night it should help