I.D. palm by inflorescence?

Discussion in 'Outdoor Tropicals' started by yousatonmycactus, Feb 7, 2007.

1. yousatonmycactus

yousatonmycactus Active Member

Can someone I.D. this palm for me?

Attached Files:

2. palmera

palmera Active Member

She looks to me like one GORGEOUS Brahea armata. Is this yours? If so, be proud. She's a beaut!

3. LPN

LPN Well-Known Member 10 Years

Yup ... I concur. Brahea armata and it's inflorescence extends well beyond the crown of leaves. Do you ever collect seed from this palm?

Cheers, LPN.

4. yousatonmycactus

Thank you both for the I.D. Lotusland has a number of Mexican blue palms (Brahea armata) in the "Blue Garden", along with Blue Atlas Cedar (Cedrus libani var. atlantica 'Glauca'), Blue Agave (Agave tequilana [Tequila agave]), Blue fescue (Festuca ovina var. glauca), Chilean wine palms (Jubaea chilencis), Queensland kauri (Agathis robusta), hoop-pines (Araucaria cunninghami), bunya-bunya (Araucaria bidwilli), Blue finger (Senecio mandraliscae), and camphor trees (Cinnamomum camphora). I have not seen the Brahea armata in bloom at Lotusland, perhaps due to the fact that they are shaded out by their much larger neighbors. The palm in my photos is on the Pacific Coast Highway between Ventura and Santa Barbara. It is happily situated about 100 feet from the Pacific Ocean (unseen on the other side of these houses).

5. yousatonmycactus

I can certainly try. Let me know timing.

6. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

A worthwhile seed crop will need two plants for cross-pollination - is there a second Brahea also in flower anywhere nearby?

7. palmera

palmera Active Member

You are very fortunate to be near Lotusland. I have always wanted to go there...

8. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Absolutely worth the trip!

9. yousatonmycactus

I will check next time I go up the coast. I will also keep my eye on the individuals at Lotusland.

I have a lone Kentia Palm (Howeia forsteriana) at the Olivas Adobe. Do I need to collect seeds from one the many examples of the H. forsteriana at Lotusland in order to grow (slooooooowly, I know...) a partner palm for this lonely plant?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 8, 2007
  10. LPN

LPN Well-Known Member 10 Years

Looks like this one has seeds of it's own.
    Cheers, LPN.

11. yousatonmycactus

Re: growing Howeia forsteriana from lone plant

Yes, it has copeous seeds. My question had to do with the fact that there are no others nearby, and I have never seen any of the dropped seeds produce offspring. Michael F suggested that with the Brahea at least, a second plant was needed to produce a viable seed crop. Is the Kentia self pollenating? What is the best bet for getting some to grow?

12. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Cross-pollination is generally wise for any plant - few species produce a good seed set without it.

A lot of palms are dioecious (individual plants of a single sex) anyway, though checked up on Brahea, and it isn't one of them.

13. yousatonmycactus

Should you venture to Santa Barbara, I will be pleased to show you through the Lotusland gardens. Individuals pay $35 for the Lotusland tour. The Santa Barbara Botanical Gardens and surrounding estates such as Val Verde, A. Childs Estate, etc. make the trip worth while.

14. palmera

palmera Active Member

This winter I looked at traveling to S.B. to go to Lotusland, but for various reasons I was unable to make it happen. I looked at staying at the "Inn by the Harbour", which looked nice and was almost in my budget. I think it would be alot easier if another plant nut like me was interested in sharing the cost/travel. I WILL make a trip there. And when I do, I'll be sure to look you up...