Hyperion - World's Tallest Tree / Conifer

Discussion in 'Gymnosperms (incl. Conifers)' started by M. D. Vaden, Jan 26, 2009.

1. M. D. Vaden

M. D. Vaden Active Member 10 Years

While exploring the redwoods once again last weekend, I finally located Hyperion, the tallest tree in the world - tallest known. It was my plan to look in spring when weather warmed, but while driving near Orick, I realized that the river was not high since it had not rained much in a week. With temperature not too cold, I decided to get a feel for one of the remote valleys, and was able to go far enough to find the spot.

Am just starting with tiny images for now. The 1000 pixel size looks great, but here's a small pic.

Attached Files:

2. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

3. Wolvie150

Wolvie150 Active Member

Awesome! thanks - look forward to more pics. If any include the immediate groundcover, I would appreciate if you included those - thanks!

4. M. D. Vaden

M. D. Vaden Active Member 10 Years

It's actually a bit sparse underneath. Whereas Del Norte Titan in Jedediah Smith redwoods is virtually carpeted with masses of ferns beneath, Hyperion on the other hand has a fern here, and a Mohonia there. Like 10 apart. More heavy on the needle mulch. The hillside likely contributes to the difference.

Here's a size bigger on the photo.

Attached Files:

5. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Polystichum munitum.

6. JamesVA

JamesVA Member

Excellent -- thanks for sharing the photos.

7. Wolvie150

Wolvie150 Active Member

Yep - appreciate it! Cool bigger pics, too. The micro clime description, too. Being a patterns person, I find it interesting to try and discover the major variables and how they influence things.