Propagation: Hydrangea Annabelle

Discussion in 'Woody Plants' started by mudfoot, Nov 28, 2008.

1. mudfoot

mudfoot Member

I live in zone 5 and need to propagate my Hydranea Annabelle. Can I make my hardwood cuttings now, prepare with rooting powder and store in refrigerator in damp perlite to form calluses over winter, before potting up in spring? Where on the stems do I make the bottom cut for best root formation and how long should the cutting be. Thank you.

2. Millet

Millet Well-Known Member 10 Years

Re: propagating Hydrangea Annabelle

Certain species of hydrangea sucker freely, so plats can easily be split from the parent. They can also be layered or stooled. Cuttings are an easy way to get large numbers of plants quickly. The pink, fall blooming, P.G. is often propagated from hardwood cuttings. Both P.G. and other kinds of hydrangea start easily from softwood cuttings taken in early summer and put under mist. They should be removed as soon as they root, before they begin to rot. A perlite-vermiculite medium works well. If I had hardwood cuttings, I would go ahead and root them. Cutting will store for an extended time if kept cool, but if too damp, hydrangea tends to rot. - Millet

3. mudfoot

mudfoot Member

Re: propagating Hydrangea Annabelle

Thank you Millet. Hydrangea annabelle is very cold hardy and my cuttings will be planted in zone 4. How far down From the leaf nodes should I make the bottom cut.

4. Millet

Millet Well-Known Member 10 Years