How to safely get rid of gnat in my indoor herb plants

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by Vivi, Feb 2, 2010.

1. Vivi

Vivi Member

Hi,

I recently started an indoor herb garden. I have basil, oregano, mint, and rosemary all in separate pots. I noticed that I have little gnats in the house and at first I wasn't worried about then but now I see that my soil is turning whitish. My oregano has little black spots on it and the basil which is next to it is also developing some dry brown spots. I turned one of the damaged oregano leaves over and found what looked like a tiny gnat larvae (gross). Could these gnats be hurting my plants? How can I get rid of them without using harmful pesticides since I plan to use my herbs for cooking?

My plants are in pots that don't drain, I am using aqua globes which my plants really seem to like. Leaving the soil to dry doesn't seem like a good idea since I have tried that and almost killed my basil. What products do you recommend? Please help me save my herb garden I put so much love and time into it.

Orchid Cactus - Kitts Eppies & C.C.J Maintenance this will help you out a bit. I have quite a few

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 22, 2017
    Lorraine Leszczak likes this.
  2. joclyn

joclyn Rising Contributor

proper drainage is a must in the long term for the majority of plants...too much moisture in the soil and for too long can cause many issues. root rot, fungus gnats, mold growth...

i'd let the soil dry out a bit - at least the top 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch and then start watering again - so, no water for at least a week; maybe 10 days. that bit of dry-out time should be enough to stop the growth cycle of the gnats.

3. SummerBug

SummerBug Member

I too have fungus gnats in my indoor plants, i have tried almost everything, drying the soil, insecticidal soaps, sticky strips and even repotting.. they worked for a little while but then they just started coming back. does anyone have any other suggestions as to how to safely get rid of these little buggers, hopefully for good :)

4. saltcedar

saltcedar Rising Contributor 10 Years

Neem oil is the only thing I know of that's safe for edibles. It's even used in toothpaste!

5. kevind76

kevind76 Active Member

Try growing sundews next to your herbs.

6. SummerBug

SummerBug Member

I have a venus fly trap any idea where I would find a sundew plant in alberta canada?

7. kevind76

kevind76 Active Member

Not sure - they aren't that common. If you want some seeds, let me know. Most of my plants and seeds came from mail-order, as there are only two CP nurseries in Canada. PM me if you want more info.

8. Ivy*Ginger

Ivy*Ginger New Member

I tried apple cider vinegar & drops of detergent. This killed a lot of gnats. I could see them in the drip dish. However, I hope it doesn't kill my ivy and ginger bonsai. Then, the atricle said to wait for a complete dry out of the soil and try again to kill the eggs.

9. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

I believe that mixture is usually prescribed for trapping fruit flies rather than fungus gnats. Are you sure what you're capturing are fungus gnats? Fruit flies are larger in size, quicker in flight, and are reddish in color.

10. Ivy*Ginger

Ivy*Ginger New Member

They are probably fruit flies. When I picked the plant up after the treatment, I found many dead flies in the dish under the plant.

11. pinenut

pinenut Active Member 10 Years

If you catch sight of them skittering around on the dirt, try sprinkling some diatomaceous earth on the surface and work it in a wee bit. Feels like powder to us, but its pretty sharp for a bug- cuts 'em up and kills 'em.