How to grow Echinacea?

Discussion in 'Plant Propagation' started by Paulina, Aug 17, 2006.

1. Paulina

Paulina Active Member

Upper Fraser Valley, Beautiful British Columbia!
    I have the most beautiful Purple Coneflower Echinacea flowers. (I think that's what they're called). Anyone know how to pull seeds from them and how to plant them?? Where are the seeds? Are they the spikey things? Thanx! I can't wait to have a million of them in my garden next year, they are so pretty!

Attached Files:

2. bcgift52

bcgift52 Active Member

The seed develops in the centre cone. After the petals have dropped off and the
    centre cone has dried up, if you split the centre part the seed will drop out. You'll see the seed (with a lot of debris as well). It's usually creamish coloured, shaped much like a shuttlecock. If you leave a few dried flower heads on over the winter, there should be some volunteers late Spring. Or in pots at room temperature, they will germinate in less than a week.

3. Paulina

Paulina Active Member

Upper Fraser Valley, Beautiful British Columbia!
    So all the little sharp things on the cone are not seeds then?? When I looked up Echinacea seeds on the net, it shows the tiny spikes as the seeds. So you're saying there's only one seed per flower??

4. bcgift52

bcgift52 Active Member

No the sharp things are not the seed. The seed is amongst the sharp things. There are many many seed in each flower. The plural for many seed is still 'seed'.