How do I take care of this plant?

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by thetaxifactory, Aug 31, 2015.

1. thetaxifactory

thetaxifactory New Member

http://www.botanicalgarden.ubc.ca/f...nt.php?attachmentid=136586&stc=1&d=1441076754

What kind of plant is this and how do I keep it living forever? It' been an indoor plant that has just been watered with tap water and given Miracle grow. I recently took some dirt from outside and threw it into the plot. Should I replace the soil in the pot? It was trimmed about six months ago. This would be the first plant I've ever taken an interest in caring for.

Attached Files:

2. Sundrop

Sundrop Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum. It looks like Schlumbergera, Christmas Cactus. There is a lot of info on the Net how to care for it.

3. Barbara Lloyd

Barbara Lloyd Well-Known Member

I disagree c/ Sundrop. plant looks like rapsadopsis (bad spelling) common name easter cactus. Christmas cactus have "horn-like segments at the top of each leaf segment - not rounded. Check the net. Many "how to care for" answers.

Your plant looks like it could need to be re-potted in new soil. Pot looks Ok but clean it before repotting. that means pitching current dirt and scraping all the guck adhearing to the inside of the pott. Hope this helps. barb

4. Sundrop

Sundrop Well-Known Member

Hi Barbara,

And it is exactly what can be seen on the OP's pictures.

To the contrary, the tops of leaf segments of Hatiora gaertneri synonyms: Rhipsalis gaertneri, Rhipsalidopsis gaertneri (Easter Cactus) are rounded, as can be seen here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hatiora_gaertneri

5. Barbara Lloyd

Barbara Lloyd Well-Known Member

Sorry Sundrop. I thought I had them figured/separated out. Guess I still don't. D---!
    barb

6. togata57

togata57 Generous Contributor 10 Years

Hang in there, Barb! Anyone who can correctly distinguish between all these relatives is either omniscient, or Ron B.

Fully agree with you that this plant needs new and clean well-draining soil AND a new pot!
    thetaxifactory, problem with outside soil is that it compacts down into concrete and tends to have tiny creatures/microbes/etc living in it...do your plant a favor and get some potting soil. Suggest adding coarse orchid bark, which enhances drainage.

Two more points:

First: 'Trimmed 6 months ago'??? This is a plant that rarely needs that---mine get dry sections, which either fall off or are easily detached. Would like to know what the poster means by 'trimming'. My instinct is to shout 'Don't do that!' but will refrain pending clarification.

Second: Congratulations to the poster for finding a plant that stirs the emotions! This is the most important factor in getting a plant to 'live forever'. By the way, this plant has a fair chance of doing that---one of my many cacti is a start from my mom's, which she gave me a good 30 years ago.