House Plants In Bedroom

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by fouriron4, Dec 10, 2005.

1. fouriron4

fouriron4 Member

I have a questions as it relates to house plants in my bedroom. I have the following plants throughout my bedroom., spiderplants, ivy, ferns and corn plants.

Here is my question...during the sunlight through photosynthesis plants produce oxygen and during the night plant "respire" and use oxygen and produce carbon dioxide.

I have been told by some well meaning people (don't know if they are experts in the field) I should remove my plants from the bedroom because of this process and because I will be subjected to carbon dioxide plus competing with the plants for the oxygen in the room while I sleep.

I need some expert advice...
    Thank
    Ted

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

House plants recommended for removing carbon dioxide, thus improving indoor air quality.

3. Margaret

Margaret Active Member 10 Years

Many years ago in Britain plants were removed from sick rooms, ie rooms with sick people, at night. I understand that some plants were looked at with a view to improving the air quality in space ships etc. Spider plants, I think, were found to help purify the air. How attitudes change.
    Margaret

4. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

5. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

True that plants produce carbon dioxide at night, but the quantities are vanishingly small. No need to worry.

6. graywolf

graywolf Member

Any suggestions for plants to clean up smokers air?
    It's not as easy to let fresh air in when it's cold out, and yes ik i gotta quit and or smoke outside.

7. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Not really a plant, but tobacco mosaic virus, spread widely around the world, might help :-)

8. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

Eco-Friendly Houseplants: 50 indoor plants that purify the air in homes and offices by B.C. Wolverton may be of interest. Its alternate title is How to Grow Fresh Air: 50 houseplants that purify your home or office. I believe the book addresses the aspect of plants as oxygen producers and consumers. It also lists carcinogens that are removed by the various plants.