Help save my adopted Senecio succulent

Discussion in 'Cacti and Succulents' started by Sarina, Jun 4, 2008.

1. Sarina

Sarina Member

Hi all

I've ended up with yet another little adoptee from my hairdresser friend who loves to give me her dead or dying plants.

After some research, my best assumption is that this little guy is a Senecio succulent. This particular one looks like a bunch of little piece on a small vine.
    http://www.dkimages.com/discover/Home/Plants/Ornamental-Groups/Cacti-and-Other-Succulents/Cacti/Cacti-20.html

After googling and doing some research I still have no idea if this plant wants sun, part shade, lots of water, no water, drainage or to be root bound??

I'm also not sure if it's going to make it because it looks like it's trying out, however it's worth a shot and any suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 4, 2008
  2. Bluewing

Bluewing Well-Known Member

It looks a little iffy, but, you can only try right?
    I might find a smaller pot with some new cactus soil and make sure it has holes in the bottom.
    The stems should be down into the soil, although you can root cutting just laying across the soil too, but seeing it's not all that healthy, I might do it the first way.
    Be careful with the watering. Water it in around the stems, then not again until the soil is completely dry. Give it bright indirect light and see what happens. If it starts to grow, then you can give it a little more light.These plants do well without a lot of sun.

3. Bluewing

Bluewing Well-Known Member

(Senecio rowleyanus)

I started off with 3 small cuttings that were only 3-4" long. When the small cuttings grew to about 7-8" I snipped them each in half, pulled off a few of the "beads" so there was enough stem and planted them back into the same pot with the rooted sections and just kept doing it until it was a full pot.

Good luck with your plant!

4. Cereusly Steve

Cereusly Steve Active Member

Senecio rowleyanus

Keep the soil moist but not wet and give it plenty of light and it should make a comeback. The plant need plenty of light to do well. Be sure to turn all the stems and "Beads" back into the soil so they can root and form new shoots. Afterwards, water it thoroughly once a week. Eventually the stems should fill the pot with new growth.

5. Sarina

Sarina Member

Hey, thanks guys!

Unfortunately, I thought it needed some watering as some of the beads started to shrivel up and it may be too wet now.

But Ill try and see what happens.

Thanks for the id.