HELP!!! Passiflora in jeapordy!

Discussion in 'Vines and Climbers' started by lorax, Feb 24, 2008.

1. lorax

lorax Rising Contributor 10 Years

This was once a majestic vine growing across the canopy of a tall shade tree, and had just started to foray onto my metal balcony railings. My landlady's gardener - and I use the term in its loosest possible sense - thought it was a weed, and chopped out all of its rootstock. Now it's dying.

I believe it was a Passiflora mixto (common name Sachataxo), a species endemic to Ecuador; pictured are the flower in various stages of development (a younger one dissected to show structure), the leaves, and two of the vine that's dying in the canopy - one with a flower and the other with fruits. Yellow fruits are mature.

I've taken cuttings, and I'm trying two methods to get them to root. The first set I've dusted with rooting hormone and planted in a pot of sandy, well draining soil. The second set I've put in a bottle of water to try to water-induce roots.

I really don't want to lose this plant! Besides being beautiful, the flowers smell great and the fruit is tasty. Please, any help you can give me would be greatly appreciated.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 24, 2008