Help needed please. New indoor Palm struggling

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by Gardeningnewbie, Aug 1, 2016.

1. Gardeningnewbie

Gardeningnewbie New Member

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg Hi guys
    Sorry to post so often but I really need advice on a new Areca Palm. I got it just over a week ago from a garden centre and it was really healthy. Since then it's deteriorated and seems to be struggling. I'm not sure if it's just the move shock and to wait or change something

The fronds are wilting and two leaves have developed some dark patches (photos attached)

I've watered once since getting it when the top soil was dried out.

It gets plenty of light from south facing window and filtered light through blinds. Good humidity as its on a humidity tray and gets misted every other day

The last photo shows the location

Will it recover with time or am I doing something wrong?

Any advice and input is much appreciated

2. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

Wilting is not apparent from looking at the photos. If it is wilting, it could be from under- or over-watering. Even though the top of the soil was dry the bottom may still have been moist when you watered. If possible, ease the root ball out of the container to have a look. Is it dry or is it wet?

I wouldn't worry about the couple fronds that have developed patches; they could just be older leaves which would be be case if they're near the bottom of the plant.

There may not be enough light for the plant on top of the dresser. I think it would do better in a position on the floor next to the dresser.

3. Gardeningnewbie

I can't thank you enough!!! Really appreciate your advice and will do everything you instructed

I moved it to the floor now and will check the root ball before watering next time

You're literally a lifesaver! I've been worrying so much and your input has really eased my mind

Thanks a million Junglekeeper

4. Junglekeeper

I would put it on the far side of the dresser away from the window to start. It may be too warm and bright next to the window.

Also, the relative weight of the container gives you a good indication of the amount of moisture in the soil.

5. Gardeningnewbie

image.jpeg
    Thanks again
    I've got it on the floor now as per the photo. This is as far from the window as possible. Is this okay?

During the day the blinds are semi drawn as shown in the photo as the window is south facing. I open the window about an inch to let in fresh air

6. Junglekeeper

See how the plant responds and act accordingly.

7. Gardeningnewbie

Of course make sense. Thanks again for your input. It means a lot and helps so much

One last question if you don't mind. How long before I fertilise it?
    I bought it 10 days ago and did a thorough watering, leaching out soil thoroughly to get rid of the garden centre ferts and Chems in the soil

Do I still wait a month to fertilise or shall I do it on the next water?
    Cheers

8. Junglekeeper

I'd wait until the next watering.

Gardeningnewbie likes this.
  9. Junglekeeper

You mentioned in another thread that you live in a hard water area. I've read that palms are sensitive to irrigation using hard water which causes leaf spotting. You may want to keep it in mind should spotting continue in your plant and to followup with some research.

Gardeningnewbie likes this.
  10. Gardeningnewbie

I actually took your advice from the fern post and have been collecting rainwater. I'll only be using rainwater for the Palm and the fern

It's starting to rain quite regularly here in the UK so I should have a good supply

Many thanks ❤️

11. Junglekeeper

If you're going to go through the trouble of collecting rainwater for those two plants, consider doing so for all the others by getting a larger receptacle. Here is a discussion on the subject: rain barrel (collecting rain water)

Daniel Mosquin likes this.
  12. Gardeningnewbie

Good point. I'll look into a rain barrel as I'm just using buckets and large bowls at the moment

Thanks as always for all your advice. It truly is appreciated