Help! My Shumard Oak is not doing too good...

Discussion in 'Woody Plants' started by tracyballard, May 31, 2009.

1. tracyballard

tracyballard Member

I've got a Shumard Oak in my front yard, transplanted from a Lowe's 5 gallon pot 1 year ago. It is now about 18" tall with a 3/4 " diameter trunk and did leaf out pretty good at first, but now all the leaves are turning brown around the edges. The 3 problems I'm thinking or are either too much water, too much mulch or maybe grubs. About 3 weeks ago I started watering every day in the area to get some grass seeds started, so that was a lot of water for it. It's also in a depression that collects water from the former tree, about a foot deep and 3 foot diameter. I also noticed it had a lot of dead grass mulch right up against the trunk, about 1/3 of the way up the trunk almost and matted to it a little - was that a problem? If none of those 2 are the culprit I might need to check for grubs...

Attached Files:

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Leaf burn would be something like hot winds or mineral salts in the water. Maybe this particular species is not adapted to your conditions.

Bugs can also cause this by sucking on the leaves. But it might be too early in the season for the damage from that to be this bad. Anything that prevents the leaves from staying fully hydrated can cause the margins to die.

Might be something for you here.

http://www.puyallup.wsu.edu/~linda chalker-scott/FactSheets/Planting fact sheet.pdf