Help Im new to this garding and forum stuff

Discussion in 'Vines and Climbers' started by Diane McAulay, Jul 31, 2009.

1. Diane McAulay

Diane McAulay Member

Dog has pulled off a 2 foot piece of jasmine bought at B&Q and planted about 4-5 weeks ago can the piece be saved if so what is the best way to save it ????

2. kaspian

kaspian Active Member 10 Years

I think this might be savable. Do you have any potting mixture around the house? You could take a small pot or plastic cup (with a hole punched in the bottom) and fill it loosely with potting mix. Then take the severed bit of jasmine, snip off any leaves from the bottom 2 or 3 inches of the stem, as well as any tender immature new top growth, and poke the stem down into the pot.

Water thoroughly (this will help "set" the plant in the soil) and then choose a window where it will get bright light but very little or no direct sun. To keep the plant from drying and withering, you can enclose it in a clear polythene bag or make some similar arrangement.

This doesn't always work, but it's worth a try.

3. Diane McAulay

Diane McAulay Member

Hey thanks so much for you reply.
    I will try that and keep my fingers crossed ......do you know how long it will take to know if is sucessful what signs am i looking for ?
    many thanks once again

4. kaspian

kaspian Active Member 10 Years

Two things to look for, one good and one bad:

Bad first: The plant should perk up a bit once you've got it enclosed in a moist environment. If it continues to look wilted or droopy, make sure it isn't getting overheated by sun coming in the window, and make sure the soil is damp enough -- you can place the pot in a saucer and water it from below, allowing the soil to take up the water without disturbing the plant.

Good: When the plant starts producing new young leaves, then it's probably safe to conclude that it has formed new roots as well, and you can (cautiously) remove the cover, move it to a sunnier spot, and eventually put it up into a more permanent container.

It's hard to predict how long it will take, but I would hope for some signs of rooting and new growth within, say, three weeks or so. But don't be discouraged as long as the plant looks alive and reasonably well.

5. Diane McAulay

Diane McAulay Member

Wow thanks so much for your help, all the way from the USA who would have thought it.
    When my jasmine (named "clotted cream" what a great name sound delicious don't you think, I had to have it it's what we are famous for here in Devon!!!!) survives I promise to take a photo and.....well I not sure what to do to let you know how I got on but Im sure I'll figure it out.
    Once again thank you so much for taking the time to help a newby to "gardening and forums stuff"