Grass grows through sand?

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by galeleo, Jan 25, 2009.

1. galeleo

galeleo Member

I'm a beginner gardener, if that. I admit complete ignorance of all things green and beautiful! A couple of months ago, I hired a company to remove the residential heating oil tank buried in my backyard. After they removed the tank, they filled the hole with dirt and scattered some grass seeds on top of the soil. They didn't stamp down the earth well enough so, after a few weeks, a bit of a gulley developed where the oil tank was. I asked them to come back and fill it in which they did - with SAND. They assured me that the grass generated from the seeds they scattered would grow through it. I feel very nervous every time I look out my window upon that sandy patch which covers about 8 sq. ft. of my lawn. Is it true that the grass seeds will sprout and grass will grow through the sand?

2. Liz

Liz Well-Known Member 10 Years

3. K Baron

K Baron Well-Known Member

It is much too early to seed as we are expecting snow tonight, and more freezing temp... Can you top dress for now, then seed in March/April?

4. M. D. Vaden

M. D. Vaden Active Member 10 Years

If it's what's considered a "weed" grass, I've seen some go up through an inch of fill or so.

If Ryegrass like lawn seed, seems that as little as a half inch to an inch can smother it.

Seed can germinate on top though.