Frost-bitten Magnolia needs help!!!

Discussion in 'Magnoliaceae' started by whitneyeskew, Jun 26, 2009.

1. whitneyeskew

whitneyeskew Member

About three years ago my beautiful full-grown magnolia was hit by an ice storm. I watched as the top leaves turned dark green. I have hoped that it would recover but all of the leaves are brown now. Last year it put out horizontal branches and leaves but they are now dead. This year I have some leaves coming out at the bottom. Would pruning help? I think the trunk cracked at the top. I read some of the posts to other magnolia questions. I've been searching for information online because I don't know what to do and I don't want to kill the tree if it can be saved. I don't have the money to hire a professional. Can anyone advise me? The tree is about two stories high and it was so beautiful. I don't want to cut it down.

2. togata57

togata57 Generous Contributor 10 Years

Oh, gosh, I sympathize. Magnolias are one of my favorites---esp. huge beautiful ones like yours. I know that their expertise doesn't come cheap, but, if at all possible, consult a certified arborist. How about asking at your local nursery? (Not a place with staff who sell plants, but with staff who KNOW plants.) How about a university or arboretum in your area?

http://www.mrgrow.com/Problem Solver/magnolia.htm

The second entry might be of help to you.
    GOOD LUCK to both you and the tree! Welcome to the Forum, and let us know how it goes.

3. togata57

togata57 Generous Contributor 10 Years

4. whitneyeskew

whitneyeskew Member

Thank you for your suggestions. I didn't think about our local university. Surely someone there knows something or can suggest someone who does. If necessary I'll pay to save it if that's possible. I didn't dare try doing anything to it myself without researching first. I figure I'll only get one shot. I hope I haven't waited too long.
    Thanks again,
    Whitney