Friday the 13th

Discussion in 'Botany Photo of the Day Submissions' started by srk5cats, Jun 13, 2008.

1. srk5cats

srk5cats Member

I was out photographing a nearby area, when I noticed something in the cholla. It was a dead snake. I don't know how it would have gotten up there unless some stupid yokel (and there are too many of those around here) chucked it in there. Maybe I'm being too cynical. Maybe it was trying to get at a cactus wren nest. But I didn't notice any nests and I doubt that snakes can climb cacti. Anyway, it was a gopher snake and even though rather large, they are harmless and eat rattlers.

Attached Files:

2. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Nice pics. Are you sure this is a dead snake, though? Could be a moult instead?

3. natureman

natureman Active Member

Definitly looks like a molt, considering there're holes in it - not too many snakes I know have gashes in their side ;)

4. srk5cats

srk5cats Member

The snake has a face. Do they shed their face when they moult? It was about four feet off the ground. Would a snake climb through 4 feet of those thorns to moult? And how would it get down afterwards? I can't even understand how cactus wrens can navigate through those plants to get to their nests. I think they nest there to avoid snakes and other predators.