Fiddle leaf repot

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by Blackang3l66, Jul 25, 2020.

1. Blackang3l66

Blackang3l66 New Member

So I got a fiddle leaf last week from Whole Foods
    I went to repot it today but the pot I had was not tall enough so I had to put it back. She came with some gnats so I watered her with some mosquitos bits. Should I repot it when it dries?
    I want to change the soil out completely.

2. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

I don't think a product meant to control mosquitos would be effective against fungus gnats. The gnats can be kept well in control by allowing the soil to dry somewhat before watering. If the the medium is staying wet for longer than desired, it should be replaced with one that is more porous. That can be done by adding material such as perlite, bark chips, and calcined clay to the mixture.

3. Tom Hulse

Tom Hulse Active Member 10 Years

It's true that proper watering & soil drainage is the best, first way to control fungus gnats, but once you get them it's like turning a slow moving ship. It takes time. They can persist maybe a whole growing season even with perfect watering. So the active bacteria in mosquito bits, dunks, and drops (Bti) works just as well on fungus gnats as it does on mosquitoes. It is far, far better than any poison because it gets them all, including the larvae, if used right, and it is not a poison or pesticide that is even slightly harmful to humans.

Blackang, sure you could repot when it's dry, but perhaps also use some of the bits on your future soil, since some of the gnats likely spread to other areas of the house and could reinfect or be carried over with the plant. I prefer the drops to the bits, since it can be easily sprayed in all the other areas they may frequent, even windowsills. Make sure you have a porous, free-draining soil mix next time. :)

4. Junglekeeper

Last edited: Jul 26, 2020
  5. Blackang3l66

Blackang3l66 New Member

@Junglekeeper I have the summit chemical one.
    @Tom Hulse i only saw a couple flying around the plant but I do have other plants so am afraid they may have laid eggs in them too. Hopefully that’s not the case.
    That was my plan as well to mix it in with the new soil.
    Thanks soo much guys for the advise.

6. Junglekeeper

I learned something new because of your post. Thank you.

7. Tom Hulse

Ack! I see I misspoke on the mosquito drops. Didn't know there was actually a product called "Mosquito Drops". That one doesn't contain Bti and probably wouldn't be helpful for houseplants. Sorry! I should have perhaps instead called it liquid Bti. I use Microbe Lift BMC by Ecological Labs. Their smallest size at .5 oz can last me for years, since it only takes a few drops in a quart sprayer of distilled water.

8. Junglekeeper

@Tom Hulse, I've replaced the link to the other product with what I think is the one you're referring to. Please verify that it's correct. (I couldn't find anything offered in a .5 oz can.)

9. Tom Hulse

Yep, that's the one. :)

Junglekeeper likes this.