Ficus aspera

Discussion in 'Outdoor Tropicals' started by bertoli55, Jan 25, 2009.

1. bertoli55

bertoli55 Active Member 10 Years

Hi, I have another nameless plant given to me ages ago which after checking the books, i think is Ficus aspera. I was told that it was a small ficus shrub. Problem is that I have no idea how big it is likely to get. I've read that it is a shrub or small tree to 4 metres/ 12 ft. I started one from a cutting and it reached 20 feet and was still going until we cut it down.

I really like this ficus and want to keep it. The remaining plant is reasonably close to our house -which was fine when it was supposed to be a small shrub.
    Has any one grown this tree in hot conditions or seen mature trees?
    I've attached a few pics to make sure that I have the right id.
    Thanks

Attached Files:

2. K Baron

K Baron Well-Known Member

Need a full frontal view to help see your Ficus...

3. bertoli55

Hi, sorry I can't take a better photo. My garden is mass planted -not a spare cm of soil and this tree is growing in amongst a range of other understory plants and trees.

We cut the main trunk back to one metre from ground level in November as we were going to remove it as well. We were worried about its proximity to the house. However it has had a reprieve -I'm hoping to find some evidence that it will not grow too big then it can continue to grow where it is. The new growth is strong and healthy and racing towards the sunlight.
    It is a ficus, from my research I think it is Ficus aspera 'Parcellii' however, mine grows taller than most cultivation notes predict.

4. K Baron

K Baron Well-Known Member

You must have the magic touch, or ideal growing conditions ... what I would do to live in a Mediterranean climate such as Perth! I also wish that I could send you some of our liquid sunshine in exchange for Western Australia's heat!

5. bertoli55

Hi K Baron your 'liquid sunshine' would be welcome :) we have water restrictions here.
    I think mass planting helps here -the leaf litter creates good mulch and helps to build the soil and retain moisture.