"Elephant Ear". Is it a valid common name?

Discussion in 'Araceae' started by photopro, Mar 6, 2008.

1. blackbeauty

blackbeauty Active Member

It's not really that bad Steve. People around me just give EA name only for genus Anthurium. You know typical shape as clariner. Man, I have been a spoiled wiseguy to the people in these last several days. They don't really care about the botanical name. A friend of mine who runs trade and plant rental and has his own nursery and green house, my neighbours and off course traditional plants seller.. I think it's right when people need to know more, may God lead their path here..

2. bullseye

bullseye Active Member

Not to be picky mate......I don't give a flying fosters ( the amber nectar ) :-)

3. photopro

photopro Well-Known Member

Blackbeauty, when I began doing my research on all the plants that use the common name "Elephant Ear" I read the posts on most of the plant discussion websites. Everyone of the genera I named had been called that common name. If the name is only used for Anthurium in your country, you're lucky. Over here Americans use it for any plant with large leaf and many with a small leaf that is oval or arrow shaped. I went to a local nursery the other day and every Alocasia and other plant with a leaf of any size had a tag calling it an "Elephant Ear". How is anyone ever going to learn how to care for a plant? I promise, the guys at that nursery had no idea of the correct advice to give. I asked and was amazed at what I was told.

And Bullseye, your response is exactly why I started this thread rather than add any further comments to the one you started. Some of us do give a "Flying Fosters". But if you don't care to learn the true names of plants, you live in a free country. I know Ed and he was trying to be both nice and kind at the same time.

4. blackbeauty

You may say I am lucky Steve. When I asked them about their Alocasia, they would say it was alocasia in sure our local name. Once more, I take myself for an example of a fool who have a will to make a progress than before. I know that I don't know. That's why I join you guys in this very informative forum. Too bad, some people really don't know what they don't know about. Steve, this EA thing happened to Sansiviera, most people called it Mother's in law tounge. And I always wonder how could people around the world called it so. Well, just the other side of botanical spooky.

5. photopro

Blackbeauty, I always find your posts interesting! I have no idea where the Mother-in-law tongue name came from as well. But it is used here all the time!

6. mommum

mommum Member

This is too funny ... I have been hunting for an Alocasia refered to as "Black Beauty".
    Then I see Black Beauty posting about the Alocasia's. Nice to meet you Black Beauty.

Not sure if that is a registered name for a cultivar or a specie name. At any rate think I located one to grow this summer.

bea

7. trikus

trikus Active Member

If any Alocasia deserves the name Black Beauty its this one ;
    Alocasia macrorrhizos var.nigra very different to A.plumbea that some mistake it for .

Attached Files:

8. mommum

mommum Member

Trikus... That is just awesome!!!
    Thanks for sharing your photo with us all.
    Now where would I find one like that in North America? Thanks for posting the full proper name. While I was searching I found out that there are huge differences and so many varieties. I have this vision where I can see someone rushing home to pot up their prized Elephant Ear, only to find out it isn't the one they thought it was at all.

So now i am wondering how many Alocasia's have been given the name Black Beauty?

Bea

9. trikus

trikus Active Member

There might be some around , I remember sending a large batch of rarer New Guinea stuff many years ago for the rare plant auction fund raiser of the Int. Aroid Soc.
    Maybe one of the labs that does the TC has it in the works .

10. photopro

May I recommend you try Aroidia Research in Miami? I have no idea if they grow this particular cultivar but if any one does, LariAnn Garner will. She grows some pretty amazing cultivars down there.

http://www.aroidiaresearch.org/

11. edleigh7

edleigh7 Well-Known Member

Mick, does that plant have green on the top of the leaf?
    If so I have seen that, mistakingly as A. plumbea also, especially on ebay

Ed

12. trikus

trikus Active Member

No it is usually all black , and I have never seen anyone else list one on ebay .
    I sold several a few years ago , so any that got listed should have correct name .
    I am the ebay aroid police and offer corrections all the time , some people just do not believe me ...'Oh so the net is wrong is it ?' from some lol who was calling the yellow cultivar of Xanthosoma ,, Colocasia Golden chalise !!!

13. edleigh7

Maybe what they are offering on ebay is A. plumbea?? which is green on top and dark underneath...

Ed

14. trikus

trikus Active Member

Most likely Ed , I have been asked if the 'Black Mac' [ as I call it ] was a A.plumbea a few times . Alocasia plumbea is an easy grower and produces lots of corms .

15. Liz

Liz Well-Known Member 10 Years

Gentlemen,

Is there one of these "elephantasy" plants that has a green flower not very showy but has a beautiful perfume? I have something with the leaves but have never known what it was. I always thought it belonged to the Arum lilly lot. It has that sort of flower.

Liz

16. edleigh7

G'day Liz...can you post apicture at all??

Ed

17. blackbeauty

Nice to meet you too Mom. Sorry for this belated reply. I sneak around the net to find this picture below since I cannot find it myself a representative picture. This name was taken from an Anthurium hybrid, my favorite to die Anthurium... Maybe Steve and/or other beloved friends can figure it out what really is this Anthurium. Once again please don't mind about the way my people call it. Just mind the plant itself. ;-)

Attached Files:

18. Sabine

Sabine Active Member

I really like learning all of the botanical names for my plants. It makes it so much easier to look up how to care for them. One of my pet peeves is if I like a plant at a nursery, and it only has the price and "foliage" listed on the side. Grrr!

I do learn the common names too, so that when I am showing friends around my garden and I give them the botanical name, I can follow it up with the common name to avoid blank stares... "And this tree is Amelanchier laevis "Spring Flurry"... aka serviceberry."

Not to open up another can of worms, but my least favorite common name is Daisy. Cuz there's only about a billion flowers with rays like daisies. I have Dahlias that look like Daisys!

19. LariAnn

LariAnn Active Member

Here's another candidate for the name "Black Beauty", although I prefer "Jurassic Dark". Alas, that name has also been used for a selection of Alocasia plumbea nigra!

Alocasia 'Sarawakensis Dark'

LariAnn Garner
    Aroidia Research