Edible Blue Honeysuckle

Discussion in 'Fruit and Vegetable Gardening' started by cmmwiebe, May 2, 2007.

1. cmmwiebe

cmmwiebe Active Member

I am a retired grain Research Tech who has turned his hand to fruit plants, namely the Edible Blue Honeysuckle. I am looking for seed rather than plants, however I would be interested if you have a selection which has good fruit and hardy plant growth.

Clayton

2. vancanjay

vancanjay Member

I realize this is not what you are looking for but I just saw honeysuckle in the t&t seeds catalogue. I doubt they would have seeds however.

3. cmmwiebe

cmmwiebe Active Member

Actually I have one of their plants on order but I am suspecting this will not be a great berry size or flavour. Thanks though.

Clayton

4. vancanjay

vancanjay Member

If possible, please post or email when you receive it - I was about to order one myself...

thanks

5. cmmwiebe

cmmwiebe Active Member

Finally got back to this post. The stick that came from T&T was very well rooted and had 2 very nice green shoots. I planted in a pot and watered it in my basement under lights. It lasted about 10 days and then began to droop and finally died. I contacted them and they sent a second one with one shoot. This time I did the same only soaked the roots for a while before potting up. I also took a tip cutting from the shoot! The plant did the same thing. Seemed good for a few days and then died. My little tip cutting took root and is still growing in my basement. I am trying to start another couple of cuttings to ensure I get one good plant. I have had great success with tip cuttings on seedlings I am starting, especially when they are at about the 4 to 5 leaf stage in growth. So maybe their next years crop will be good. I will call them to complain again but I am sure there will not be anything available to replace the original.

I am trying to get seeds from Blue honeysuckle as I find them easy to start and fun to work with under lights so I can start in Jan or Feb to get them going and I try to make cuttings so I have 2 from each seed. Here is my Blue honeysuckle blog link. Also a couple of pics. My favourite starting container is a DQ takeout sundae cup with lid. I drill holes around the lid for air and use the large peat pellets. Only issue with the pellets is they are made by putting two halves together so you need to be sure to miss the crack in the middle of the pellet otherwise you do not get good contact with the stem. I use a Wilson's Rooting Gel.
    http://haskap.blogspot.com/

Attached Files: