Dying Pine Tree. Help requested

Discussion in 'Pacific Northwest Native Plants' started by hshivas, Jul 16, 2016.

1. hshivas

hshivas New Member

Hi,

We have a favourite spot that we have been going to for years in Nootka Sound on the West Coast of Vancouver Island. There is an iconic Pine Tree on the rocks that a forest engineer once told us was over 800 years old. Two summers ago, someone scraped away a patch of bark and drove nails into the tree to mount a sign. This summer, it is dying. I have attached some pictures.

Does anyone have any suggestions or tips that we could use to try and preserve this beautiful tree?

Thank you in advance.

Attached Files:

2. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Ugh, really? Why would someone need to put a sign into it?

I am doubtful much can be done. Overall, a slow-growing physiology would likely imply a slow-healing one. Once those needles start to brown like that, though, it suggests the living tissue of that branch is dead.

I'll forward this along to a colleague, but I wouldn't be optimistic.

3. Douglas Justice

Douglas Justice Well-Known Member UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society 10 Years

It doesn't look good... . However, you might be surprised by the tree. It looks like at least a part of the crown is alive and the bark looks to be actively healing over the edges of the wound. (The thoughtlessness and selfishness of people never ceases to amaze and depress me.) Thank you for looking out for this tree.

4. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Pinus contorta.