Does this seem to be reverting to you?

Discussion in 'Maples' started by Mani, Jun 23, 2020.

1. Mani

Mani Active Member

The tree is supposed to be an acer palmatum 'phoenix' as shown in the 1st pic.

The new leaves in the 2nd pic seem to be reverting to the root stock....do you agree? If so, it looks like a nice revert! What species do you think the revert/root stock is?

Attached Files:

2. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

Good afternoon Mani, I don't think it's reverting at all, it just looks like the second flush that will turn the correct colouring etc etc later on. Second flush leaves are always a bit weaker than the Spring growth, so they do look a little different.
    Are the shoots coming from below the graft btw?? If so then it is the rootstock, which can be any strong red or green palmatum variety used by the growers to answer your second question.

Hope that's of help

Do try to keep cool in London and give your trees a drink late tonight before the severe heat tomorrow.

3. Mani

Mani Active Member

Oh, I thought it might be reverting because the texture of the leaves is different - the newer leaves are smooth and without the veins of the older ones plus they are bigger. The new shoots are from the top of the tree rather than the graft, like 'normal' new growth.

I gave them a drink early this morning, the ones that needed it. I'll do a top up tonight!

Thanks - actually, I'm not finding it as hot as it was a few weeks ago even though the thermometer says otherwise!

Keep cool too!!

4. AlainK

AlainK Renowned Contributor Forums Moderator Maple Society 10 Years

Yes, it's typical of the early colours of Phoenix' when it leafs out, then on a second flush. To me thjat's an interesting feature, especially if you trim it in mid-June : the new shoots will make the tree red again. Not as vibrant as Deshojo, but beautiful nevertheless.

Mani likes this.
  5. Mani

Mani Active Member

The new shoots are maybe 12" taller than the main tree. Should I chop these back down to the height of the rest of the tree in order to get better overall growth? Just asking because I came across a video suggesting that this should be done.

6. Acerholic

Good morning Mani, a rather wet one today. I always start my tidying around this time of year to shape my trees that have had excessive growth. By 'tidying' I mean just a little, as this is in no way the main pruning. I have a few that put out an amazing amount of growth every year and has to be controlled.
    Things to consider is, what shape you want your tree to be in your garden and is the excessive growth cutting out too much light from the main structure, as this can cause a lot of dead branches IMO.
    Once you have decided and considered this then you can thin and tidy.
    I like a fairly open tree, but some prefer the dense canopy and just letting it grow, it is down to personal preference.
    Hope that has helped a little.

7. Mani

Mani Active Member

Thanks D, yes, very wet! When do you do your main pruning?

8. Acerholic

Normally late February, it does depend on the weather conditions. I prefer to see where new buds are swelling 'well' at that time, so I can prune accordingly.

Mani likes this.